Patience to live according to God's time
CelebrAte...
Too many to number
Keeping a home...
On the road again but home soon
Deliciousness...
Organic peaches directly from the orchard
Apothecary news...
Identified barberry, yarrow, comfrey, mullien, and more at the family retreat
Bibliography Fix...
I brought Uncle Eric and his unveiled wisdom with me on this adventure...J and I are planning to go through them together with study guides and read the bibliography of each.
appearance...
I brought my new skirts with me on this trip...on a hike the other day I got covered in burrs so badly that I had to throw out a pair of leggings and an old pink peasant skirt...I am such a minimalist traveler that it has not been a problem at all...But I decided birkies are only good for trail hiking not exploring the deep woods...Going to get my hair layered when I get home...
Scripture meditations...
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life:no man cometh unto the Father but by me. John 14:6
Praying for...
Our sweet Lady Oakley (no pics while using this blasted IPad)...I pray that she will be safe, happy, and desire to do good.
Simple pleasures...
Green, trees, water, quiet.........
Study Notes From This Week...
A History of the American People
Although it's hard to believe, this tyranny led to good. The Toleration Act was the result of the above terror, which gave all Christians the right to worship how they wished. Unfortunately, this freedom didn't extend to Jews or others not of the Christian faith, but it was a step in the right direction of religious freedom.
One point brought out here by the author is the individuality and Utopian ideas of early settlers in North America that shaped the direction of our country.
Here's another group of people who practiced religious intolerance and heavy slavery in North Carolina, which was in effect turned into a British aristocracy. I need to remember not to judge these people by the standards of this day. Probably in a lot of ways they were largely better people than us moderns. Why cannot we all live with peace and charity? South
Carolinian ideas which were transplanted for Barbados, were a great factor in the American Civil war 200 years later.
Interestingly, the book compares and contrasts New England Puritain Work Ethic with Southern gentry class systems. From this point of view, it seems that the War between the states was inevitable, because the two different brands of liberty seeking colonists, the way the pursue religion, and their ideas about success would eventually clash.
Pennsylvania was called the holy experiment, because it was built on religious toleration. Later became know as the bread colony.
The attitudes of so many New Englanders were what really made the difference between the old world and the new. A gentleman or one of the gentry was not above working hard with his hands to get ahead. In England no man of means could work and hold his head up. And then there was the experimental political climate--first the English colonists had 1000 years of political history on which to base opinions. big changes in England proper occurred in 1640, which spurred these experiments.
Roots of American Order
"If God is purposeful, consciously willing , intelligent, just, and redeeming--why , then man is foolish if he does not seek to know this Being; to understand the human condition, one tries to know God." "History becomes the life of a people in their search for or flight from God." "If one accepts the reality of a just and loving god...it must follow that a he suld enter into the order which God has designed for them." I love this book and all the classics it quotes. In this weeks' portion of the book, The Abolition of Man and The Old Testament are recommended reading. I've read both and have been studying the Old Testament in depth this year, but I think I'll pick up The Abolition of Man again this week.
Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?
"Profit is the result of enterprise which builds for others as well as of the enterpriser." .
The Fallacy Detective
One thing I noticed with politicians is the frequent use of the Red Herring. Even I can spot this one. "A Red Herring is the introduction of an irrelevant point into an argument. Someone may think (or may what us to think) it proves his side, bit it really doesn't...It is saying something true but irrelevant They are good arguments, but they don't prove the point being argued."
Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels
The Five Thousand Year Leap
Natural Law is enduring having been the creation of an infinite and eternal God. Natural Law lays out ones duty and prohibitions of society. Because it is eternal and universal, we cannot be free of its obligations or usurp another's rights, because someone else says we may. It is absolute reality.
Only God and man share intelligence and reason, which God hopes men will develop into godly wisdom.
The concepts of natural law closely harmonize with Christian beliefs. The first commandment, to love God means that we accept the covenant to live as Jesus lived. This makes us law abiding, justice loving, mercy embracing people. Likewise living the second great commandment, we wish to treat others fairly, not usurp their property or powers, and generally do what is right. This is basically natural law; do what you promise and don't bother other people. The concept of "love is a might social bond."
"The most foolish notion of all is the belief that everything is just which is found in the customs or laws of nations....What of the many deadly, the many pestilential statues which nations put in force? These no more deserve to be called laws that the rules a band of robbers might pass in their assembly. For if ignorant and unskillful men have prescribed deadly poisons instead of healing drugs, these cannot possibly be called physicians' prescriptions; neither in a nation can a statue of any sort be called a law, even though the nation in spit of being a ruinous regulation has accepted it." Cicero
lawmakers and citizens must not allow laws which violate the laws of Nature or Nature's God, meaning we ought to measure each proposed legislation against the laws of God.
"But if the principles of Justice were founded on the decrees of peoples, the edicts of princes, or the decisions of judges, then Justice would sanction robbery and adultery and forgery of wills, in case these acts were approved by the votes of decrees of the populace. But if so great a power belongs to the decisions and decrees of fools that the laws of Nature can be changed by their votes, then why do they not ordain that what is bad and baneful shall be considered good or salutary? Or, if a law can make Justice Injustice, can it not also make good out of bad?" Cicero
Hmmmmm....did Cicero have a crystal ball giving him access to the star chamber and the Senate chamber?
Several concepts in our American system of government have their basis in natural law: unalienable rights, Habeas Corpus, unalienable duties, limited government, separation of powers, chicks and balances, self-preservation, contract, family, marriage, justice by reparation, bearing of arms, no taxation without representation. Sadly, many of these ideas of natural law are being eroded as I write. Decrees of peoples, the edicts of princes, or the decisions of judges, have made murder, adultery, forgery, robbery, lying, and more seem good and necessary depending on the situation. This is statism, the sacred cow of Karl Marx. Cicero knew the beast even without its modern day mask and moniker.
The Story of Art
The book doesn't speak much of the art of the Babylonians and Assyrians, because not much remains. However, it does talk about the monuments built to kings that are propagandus (My middle name is Shakespeare so I can make up my own words.) in nature. Funny...even thousands of years ago, political leaders misled the people to gain power. They used art. Ours use words.
Western Civilization
Sparta and Athens were polar opposites. At first they were not so antagonistic in their politics. Over the course of 300 years or so, they moved to opposite ends of the spectrum, totalitarian state and land of liberty.
Names to remember during this period are Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle for philosophy and Aschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, and Aristophanes for dramatic literature. I've enjoyed reading much of their work, whose ideas have given me much food for thought over the years.
Religions of the World
Ancient Rome: How it Affects You Today
Roman Law during the monarchy and empire was statism or the idea that no law is above that of the state-do whatever appears necessary.
Maybury calls socialism, legitimized covetousness.
The Anatomy Coloring Book
No comments:
Post a Comment
Reading the scriptures and keeping this journal are my delight. I do not keep an online journal to preach to anyone but myself. I like this format, because I can add pictures and correct my writing easier. If you enjoy reading it, I am happy. If you feel offended, please, realize it is not my intention to offend but to teach myself. No negative comments will not be published.