"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.
Paradigm Shift
“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.
Friday, September 17, 2010
one more try
Once again, there are two ways to pay for sin. We can each satisfy the demands of justice without the benefit of Jesus' mercy. If we choose this, we cannot live with Him again. "Now repentance could not come unto men except there were a punishment, WHICH ALSO WAS AS ETERNAL AS THE LIFE OF THE SOUL should be, affixed opposite to the plan of happiness, which was eternal also as the life of the soul." Alma 42:16
Sadly, many today live according to the belief that there will be no punishment. However, the demands of justice require punishment. This punishment is not a simple scolding or slap on the wrist; it is eternal. Of course we can choose to pay for our own sins, but the consequences are not desirable. "But behold, and fear, and tremble before God, for ye ought to tremble; for the Lord redeemeth none such that rebel against him and die in their sins; yea even all those that have perished in their sins ever since the world began, that have willfully rebelled against God, that have no part in the first resurrection. Therefore ought ye not to tremble? For salvation cometh to none such; for the Lord hath redeemed none such; yea, neither can the Lord redeem such; for he cannot deny himself for he cannot deny justice when it has its claim." Mosiah 15:26-27
"But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit--and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink..." Doctrine and Covenants 19:17-18
The worst effect of paying for one's own sins is the second spiritual death or eternal separation from God. "but whosoever repenteth not is hewn down and cast into the fire; and there cometh upon them again a spiritual death, yea, a second death, for they are cut off again as to things pertaining unto righteousness." Helaman 14:18
I choose the other way. Jesus can pay for our sins. "Now their is not any man that can sacrifice his own blood which will atone for the sins of another." Alma 34:11 Our friends and family cannot pay for our sins. There is only one way that our sins can be paid for that does not include our paying ourselves, Jesus Atonement. His blood in Gethsemane and Calvary paid for MERCY, THE GRACE OF CHRIST. "And now, the plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made. Therefore, God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also." Alma 42:15
"Yea, even so he shall be led, crucified, and slain, the flesh becoming subject even unto death, the will of the Son being swallowed up int he will of the Father. And thus God breaketh the bands of death, having gained the victory over death; giving the Son power to make INTERSESSION for the children of men; having ascended into heaven, having the bowels of mercy; being filled with compassion towards the children of me; standing betwixt them and justice; having broken the bands of death, taken upon himself their iniquity and their transgressions, having redeemed them, and SATISFIED THE DEMANDS OF JUSTICE." Mosiah 15:7-9
When I get to the judgment bar and the Father says, "Your sins necessitate that you leave my presence." I hope I shall also hear Jesus say, "Apply my mercy to this daughter and allow her to remain by the power of My Atonement. Justice is paid by my atoning mercy. The demands are satisfied." They key is to ask. We must open the door for Grace to save us. Many mistakenly think that LDS Christians believe that our works save us. On the contrary, while we are encouraged to do good works as emissaries of Jesus Christ, we understand that no amount of good works will satisfy the demands of justice. Only the grace of Jesus Christ can satisfy these demands.
No one knows better than I how much I need this saving grace. Daily I fail to live up to my Christlike ideals. Yoda says, "There is no try; only do." I beg to differ. Until we draw our last dying breath, our Savior waits patiently for us to open the door, take His hand, and try to walk in His ways. As we stumble and fall, we can look to Him to help us back on our feet for one more try. It is only the world that forces perfection upon us and refuses to accept that people can grow and change for the better...not our Wonderful Counselor, our Prince of Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Reading the scriptures and keeping this journal are my delight. I do not keep an online journal to preach to anyone but myself. I like this format, because I can add pictures and correct my writing easier. If you enjoy reading it, I am happy. If you feel offended, please, realize it is not my intention to offend but to teach myself. No negative comments will not be published.