"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

vision

Praying For...citizens of the US and the Western World to embrace Christian worship and virtues, because it is the only way we can save law, order, and liberty in this country. God will not stand by us, as we travel the road to hell. We can't have decadence and His blessings. If we choose to retrench, we must be more charitable and unoppressive, learning from past mistakes.

Ponderizations..."Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: but in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him," Acts 10:33-34. Fear doesn't mean to be afraid, tremble, and shrink but to respect and revere. There is no room in God's kingdom for persecutors or racists. Jesus taught us through example and Paul (and other prophets) exhorted us to treat ALL others with Charity, the pure love of Jesus Christ. Charity is patient, dignified, serene, kind, strong while meek, and forbearing, is not jealous, boastful, angry, selfish, resentful, or proud, and strongly but uncontentiously stands as a witness of Christ's truth and righteousness. Boy, do I have a long way to go, but the point is I will make it WITH the atoning grace of Jesus Christ.

Garden Gate...Who decided that crushed granite makes a beautiful yard? Yuck! I've been shoveling this stuff up a bucket full at a time. It might take a year, but eventually it will be gone from the back yard and replaced with  cool and kind to the feet wood chips. Even tiny food forests need pollinator attractors, so I am slowly digging holes for two brilliant, red hibiscus. Bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds are supposed be attracted to them, plus they are on my list of favorite flowers. I plan to alternate them with grapes and kiwi against the wall behind the moringa, pole bean, acerola, asparagus, calendula, snapdragon, lupine, strawberry, and comfrey guilds. My imagination makes this a glorious sight, when in fact it looks very bare with only six tiny moringa and a very old, scraggly jasmine plant at present. Nevertheless, without vision a gardener fails.

Movement...I forgot how wonderful I feel, when I use gardening as my main form of exercise. Where I live, I can comfortably use this favored activity for six to eight months each year. Digging, carrying heavy buckets, dragging hoses, raking compost, laying wood chips, etc, I bend, lift, and squat out in the fresh air and sunshine. However, I've learned not to over do things and keep my little garden jobs to an hour or so. I still enjoy Essentrics because it sort of sucks pain out of the body, improves posture, and increases mobility. Uuuugh! I sound like some old lady doing a arthritis relief commercial...but it really does work so much better than Mobisyl and aspirin. Another week went by, and I still didn't take a bike ride. This week is THE week for sure.

Teaching Little Children...Although they are making good progress with sandpaper letters, Bob Books, slates, and rainbow letters, I've been working on a couple projects to help me do a better job of teaching reading and writing. Because I need things organized, complete, and systematic, I'm printing, tweaking, cutting, gluing, laminating new reading and grammar work. Along with Language Works Spelling, this should help me help my lovely children become strong, solid readers before other schools can stifle their intellects with look/say pseudo-phonics without a stitch of grammar. Plus, I want to help the children become more self-directed. Bob requires me to sit right there and listen to every word read. It takes too long and progress isn't what it could be with a more self-directed, systematic approach. Each little drawer is a lesson to give in small groups, which they practice individually until ready for the next lesson. The Montessori way is ingenious!

Montessori Print Shop pink, blue, green, and grammar series.

Cucina Fresca...My husband says I'm aptly named, because I love spicy food! AND I love bread. It's been a frustrating journey to discover good breads that don't trigger reactions, but one great discovery is idli. I waited for my new idli cooker for some time; the wait wasn't in vain. These are the best I've eaten anywhere. Sambar and Idli are traditional breakfast foods in Southern India but can be eaten for any meal.

Hotel Style Rice Cooker Sambar

1/2 c moong dal (rice maker cup not standard cup)
3 c water (on the white rice marker)
1 T curry powder
2 T sambar powder
dash pumpkin pie spice
dash mustard powder
garlic powder
onion powder
8-10 torn curry leaves
2 tomatoes, diced
2 wedges winter squash (eliminates need for tamarind and jaggery)
1 c moringa leaves or chopped spinach (reserved)
1 c cut, very thin asparagus, green beans, drumsticks, or cauliflower (reserved)
1/4 c minced cilantro

Mix dal, lentils, water, curry, sambar, garlic, onion, curry leaves, and tomatoes in a rice cooker. Place squash wedges on top. Cook on timed white rice or quick setting. At the completion of the cycle, stir in moringa and green beans. Close rice cooker and let steam while you cook idli. Place several idli in a shallow pasta bowl, ladle sambar over top, place a wedge of winter squash along side, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve. Sambar is a spicy vegetarian answer to carnivor dumpling soup. It can also be served with idli along side instead of in the soup...or a scoop of rice. All are delicious. BTW-Hubby gave this meal a 100% absolute redo; it's going to be our new after church luncheon, utilizing the timer on the rice cooker.

Idli Maker

Rice Cooker