"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

accentuate the positive

Praying For...Tyson...that he will hold fast to faith in Jesus Christ and adopt His character...that the innocence of his childhood will be preserved...that leaders of nations will soften their hearts toward Christians, will stop usurping the rights of men for their own gain and power, and choose to follow the commandments...that all who are ready to receive the gospel will be able to find it and not be persecuted for their beliefs.

Ponderizations...1 Peter 4:13, "But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." When my children were small, we watched Pollyanna over and over. As I ponder the theme of Pollyanna's life, I conclude that she is absolutely right. We must choose to be glad and accentuate the positive. “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache,” Marjorie Pay Hinckley. I am glad that I am a partaker of Christ's sufferings and other gifts. AND I prefer smiling and laughing my way through life.

Cucina Fresca...I used to make miso soup during the winters. Now that my anemia seems to be a thing of the past, I can't eat so much hot broth anymore. Plus, the miso I must use with soy and wheat allergies is difficult to obtain and sort of expensive. Because I like to begin the day with a pound of veggies, I decided to take my soup idea and turn it into fried rice. It's a real hit.

Breakfast Fried Rice

1/2 t grated ginger
1/2 t grated turmeric (optional)
1-2 t sabal oelek
1/2 clove garlic, pressed
1 T Southriver miso tamari or other if you don't have allergies
1/4 c salt free veggie broth
1/2 c minced parsley
2-3 green onions, minced
2-3 shitaki mushrooms, sliced
1-2 small tomatoes, diced
1-2 leaves lacinato kale, stripped and chopped
1-2 large leaf bok choi, chopped
1/3 yellow or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 c purple cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 c minced cilantro
pinch of wakame
a few twists of black pepper
1/2 c green peas
1 c cooked brown rice
1/2 lime

Put ginger, turmeric, sabal oelek, garlic, tamari, broth, parsley, onions, and mushrooms in a large frying pan. Turn on high and bring to a boil. Add kale, cover, and cook for five minutes. Add all other ingredients except lime and cook until everything is warmed up. Drizzle with lime juice. Adjust seasonings and enjoy.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...not a 'real' doctor but a student of natural and nutritional healing...ginger, turmeric, black pepper, and hot peppers all help with pain and inflammation. Starting the day with these instead of something sweet, we choose painfree movement. According to research that Dr. Gregor presented these may work as well as Tylenol without the side effects. In addition to eating them for breakfast, I take capsules of ginger, cayenne, and turmeric along with slippery elm and marshmallow to protect my tender stomach. While I still have pain in my frozen shoulder, I don't have any hip pain now. This is a real plus.

Movement...I don't, however, think all my pain relief is from the above herbs. Essentrics provides a tremendous amount of pain relief along with flexibility, strength, and mobility. AND 45/15 is wonderful to keep the spirits high even if my hair is thrashed from the wind and rain. I feel better than I ever have, except for my stupid shoulder. It will resolve eventually if I keep working at it.

Scholarship...I love studying. How did I forget this?