![]() |
| try a walk in the country |
“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” I Corinthians 6:19-20
What does this mean? What does “glorify God in your body” command? What else can we learn from Scripture about this idea?
It's not easy to say no to the decedent chocolate cake at the church dinner. It is a conscious choice to eat stimulating, addictive "junk food" or healthier options. I used to think I could get away with having occasional unhealthy "foods." These only made me crave more and more until I found myself eating the whole plate of cookies or an entire box of chocolates. Science agrees with my new philosophy, sugar, white flour, hydrogenated fats, fried foods, animal products, corn syrup, and so on are poisons that produce addictive responses. Bummer!
Sadly the American diet is based on these things. But we can get off that wagon and choose NOT to put that junk in our bodies. But they taste soooo good. Yes, but not after you wean yourself off them. A giant, crunchy, green salad just tastes so much better than a piece of chocolate or hot off the grill tortillas--really. Our food of choice will not heal our emotional wounds and make us feel better. Our food choice should feed our bodies so that we can live the healthiest most vibrant life possible--not the yummiest, most couch potato life.
God has a lot to say about this. A glutton is one who continues to eat when already full or eats things known to be bad for the body. "When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat...Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.” Proverbs 23:1-3 and 20-21
“Put a knife to your throat…” That's pretty specific. God knows the temptations of the body, food being only one, and wants us to protect ourselves against them. God will give us power to combat our desire for unhealthy foods. "the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty" Just consider the cost of food induced illness such as cirrhosis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and so on--this alone can lead to poverty. He is strong and will help us. If we go to Him in prayer, he will help us combat eating problems, struggles weight issues, and apathy with exercise. He doesn’t want us to be sick and wish we felt well. He wants us to “do something” about it.
“How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and they want as an armed man” Proverbs 6: 9-11. He wants us to turn off the TV, rise off the couch, and move. It takes strength to walk around the block or run a marathon. It starts with the first step or lifting that first dumbbell.
A few years ago, I read a great book about a woman, who touts the wondrous joys of dark chocolate. Before that I hated chocolate, but decided to give it a try. She said that it was a wonderful way to end the day. Ohhh and it was. I also started making more desserts according to her weight-loss advice. Instead of loosing weight, I became heavier than I had ever been in my life because of what I was putting into my mouth. She jested at American gyms so I quit going there, too. With little movement and lots more sugar, fat, caffeine, and thoebromine, well you get the picture. Not pretty!
Reality hit me when I got very ill. The illness lasted over 2 years. God led me to some reading material and classes and scriptures. After another year, my weight is better than it was in high school without starving myself like I did then. I sleep a normal amount and enjoy exercising in moderation. Because my healing was so profound and miraculous, my husband joined me. Together we eat our pounds and pounds of greens and laugh about the old days.
Because I gave this burden over to God, He gave me the strength to get up and take care of my body, His temple. If I am healthy, He can use me to build His kingdom. If I am ill and in bed, He cannot. "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." I Corinthians 9:27
This nutritarian lifestyle seems to work for anyone who gives it a chance. According to the research of Dr. Fuhrman, it gives you energy, eliminates diet related diseases, and keeps His temple healthy and fit. God wants us to feel comfortable in our bodies and to use them for Him. The body you have is God's temple. Ask Him to help you to get educated and motivated and to learn about healthier, wiser food options and to give you strength to get up and move. “The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment” Luke 12:23.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Reading the scriptures and keeping this journal are my delight. I do not keep an online journal to preach to anyone but myself. I like this format, because I can add pictures and correct my writing easier. If you enjoy reading it, I am happy. If you feel offended, please, realize it is not my intention to offend but to teach myself. No negative comments will not be published.