"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, December 16, 2011

This and That

5TF

1.When we were in Phoenix, Joseph and Spencer dragged me to the dreaded mall. Spencer needed some part for some Apple something. Anyway, Apple stores make me anxious with all the noise and crowds. So I wandered over to a clothing store called Down East Outfitters. Before I walked in, I knew they would have nothing of interest for me. Low and behold...they have changed their look to match my style. So I bought 2 skirts and a cardigan. CUTE....but now I'll look like everyone else. Because I like to be original, I guess it's time to come up with a new individual look. Or better yet, I'll just wait fifteen minutes for designers to change the minds of women concerning what is stylish. Before that happens, I plan to buy a few more things from DEO.

2. Around here we are sort of like the Bagginses. First breakfast is a green smoothie. Second breakfast is miso soup made with South River Miso. I've liked miso soup for many years but wheat and soy issues forced me to seek out alternatives. What a serendipitous find! The flavor and texture of this brand say 'old world is better.' After researching miso for its health benefits, I don't eat miso soup occasionally anymore. Studies at Nagasaki indicate it is protective against radiation sickness and cancer--possibly because of its alkalizing nature. It is nourishing and full of probiotics, which build the immune system. I chop 2 shitake mushrooms, mince a bit of green onion, ribbon cut a few leaves of spinach, add 1 t. dulse or a bit of ribbon cut nori, a spoon of brown rice, and 1/3 of a small red pepper into my over-sized mug and pour 1 c. boiling water over. In a separate dish, I mix 1 1/2 t. chick pea, adzuki, red pepper miso, or a combination with 3/4 c. room temp distilled water and a dab of chili paste. I take a couple spoons of hot soup and pour it over the miso, then mix the miso into the soup. When I eat another bowl of miso soup in the afternoon, I don't feel hungry or have an energy dive. All that in less than 3 minutes and only 20 calories. This is why Japanese women are slender and bright eyed.

3. I love seeing the fruits of my labors in my adult children. Spencer is keeping his office neat as a pin. After years of working on the habit of neatness and order, I knew he had it in him. He just needed to decide it was better than the alternative.

4. It looks like we've got more snow on the way. I'm determined to be positive about snow from now on.

5. Christmas is coming, which is always a fun time. However, I'm looking forward to our after Christmas celebration with the Northern Utah married children and grandchildren. We plan to go to Grins and Fins then to a pizza place with a salad bar. It should be a grand adventure.