"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, April 23, 2012

precious heritage of the Lord




April General Conference was a wonderful spiritual experience. Many addresses spoke of family and children. Teaching our Children to Understand by Cheryl Esplin was an excellent example with lots to consider.

"What a sacred responsibility Heavenly Father places upon us as parents to partner with Him in helping His choice spirits become what He knows they can become. This divine privilege of raising our children is a much greater responsibility than we can do alone, without the Lord’s help. He knows exactly what our children need to know, what they need to do, and what they need to be to come back into His presence. He gives mothers and fathers specific instruction and guidance through the scriptures, His prophets, and the Holy Ghost....The Lord instructs parents to teach their children to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ, baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Teaching our children to understand is more than just imparting information. It’s helping our children get the doctrine into their hearts in a way that it becomes part of their very being and is reflected in their attitudes and behavior throughout their lives...Sometimes the most powerful way to teach our children to understand a doctrine is to teach in the context of what they are experiencing right at that moment. Just as important are the teaching moments that come as we thoughtfully plan regular occasions such as family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, and other family activities. In every teaching situation all learning and all understanding are best nurtured in an atmosphere of warmth and love where the Spirit is present."

Being a mother was the most difficult but also most rewarding part of my earthly sojourn so far. It stretched me to my limit and required me to grow in ways I never imagined before the journey began. Even though I learned more from my children than they learned from me, teaching them about Jesus was the most precious part of this experience.  My “children are [my most precious] heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3).