"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Why should I treat my body like a temple?

Daniel 1:3–21 Daniel followed the commandments of God to respect his body and so should I.

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Because I want the Holy Ghost to dwell within me, I should provide the best dwelling place possible.

"And the spirit and the body are the soul of man. And the resurrection from the dead is the redemption of the soul." Doctrine and Covenants 88:15-16 My body and soul are integral in my eternal progression.

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us." Doctrine and Covenants 130:22 If I am created in His image and He has a glorified immortal body, isn't it logical that my body will be of some use even beyond the grave. I must treat my body with reverence instead of filling it with destructive albeit delicious dainties.

"The condition of the physical body can affect the spirit. That’s why the Lord gave us the Word of Wisdom. He also said that we should retire to our beds early and arise early, that we should not run faster than we have strength, and that we should use moderation in all good things. In general, the more food we eat in its natural state and the less it is refined without additives, the healthier it will be for us. Food can affect the mind, and deficiencies in certain elements in the body can promote mental depression...Rest and physical exercise are essential, and a walk in the fresh air can refresh the spirit. Wholesome recreation is part of our religion, and a change of pace is necessary, and even its anticipation can lift the spirit." Ezra Taft Benson, October 1974

"I think that another reason why I have very splendid strength for an old man is that during the years we have had a cafeteria in the Utah Hotel, I have not, with the exception of not more than a dozen times, ordered meat of any kind. On these special occasions I have mentioned I have perhaps had a small, tender lamb chop. I have endeavored to live the Word of Wisdom, and that, in my opinion, is one reason for my good health." Heber J. Grant, April 1937

"If each of our bodies is a temple, some of us have temples that look as if the maintenance crew retired three years ago; the noble spirits that inhabit them deserve a better place to dwell...we can make our lives better and teach our families valuable habits through regular exercise. We have ample reason to recognize the care of our physical bodies as a spiritual obligation," Ensign, Sept 1990.

"She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms." Proverbs 31:17 “…retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.” Doctrine and Covenants 88:124

Now that February is here, I've moved on to another topic, The Plan of Salvation. Latter-day Saint Christians have a different view of the body than other Christians. We believe that our bodies and spirits will be reunited after the Second Coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. "The resurrection consists in the uniting of a spirit body with a body of flesh and bones, never again to be divided. The resurrection shall come to all, because of Christ’s victory over death. Jesus Christ was the first to be resurrected with His physical body." LDS.ORG Just as He showed the way we should be baptized and how to conduct our lives, He showed us that resurrection includes the physical body. Luke 24:42–43, Luke 24:39, Luke 24:39–40, John 20:25–29

The following is a wonderful conversation between two modern medical doctors that believe our temples were designed to be healthy given the proper foods. The things they say are in keeping with modern revelation on this matter. "The Word of Wisdom is a law of health revealed by the Lord for the physical and spiritual benefit of His children. On February 27, 1833, as recorded in section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord revealed which foods are good for us to eat and which substances are not good for the human body. He also promised health, protection, knowledge, and wisdom to those who obey the Word of Wisdom." LDS.ORG