"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, July 26, 2013

teach them light and truth



I must say, this little group of highly active children I am privileged to teach have become very dear to my heart. Just as Heavenly Father commanded Adam and Eve to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ to their children, He has likewise commanded all parents, Moses 6:58; Doctrine and Covenants 93:40. While I wouldn't dream of imposing on those without a desire to learn, Heavenly Father has given me a similar stewardship with my grandchildren and primary children. Through example, word, and deed, I am to preach the gospel.

Teach Me To Walk In The Light
Clara McMaster

Teach me to walk in the light of his love;
Teach me to pray to my Father above;
Teach me to know of the things that are right;
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light.

Come, little child, and together we’ll learn
Of his commandments, that we may return
Home to his presence, to live in his sight
Always, always to walk in the light.

Father in Heaven, we thank thee this day
For loving guidance to show us the way.
Grateful, we praise thee with songs of delight!
Gladly, gladly, we’ll walk in the light.

A wonderful example of this is the story of Helaman and his stripling warriors. About 20 years earlier, some ferocious, war-loving people chose to lay down their weapons and serve God. With a covenant to never shed blood again, they buried their weapons. When they were faced with an invasion of their old, equally blood-thirsty companions, they considered breaking their covenant and fighting. Helaman convinced them to send their sons, who had not made this covenant.

During the peaceful years, these young men had been brought up in truth and light. Their deeply faithful parents had become examples of Christlike charity and taught them to be likewise. With unmovable faith, they knew they would return from war. They fought valiantly and bravely. Each and everyone returned home to their families after they won the war. Alma 56:47

This week I teach my primary children to listen to the righteous teachings of their parents: love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, love one another, obey their parents, forgive others, be kind, be happy, share, serve, be baptized, pray, pay tithing, fast, obey the Word of Wisdom, be honest, keep the Sabbath day holy, attend Church meetings, and study the scriptures.

I'll sing to them and tell them the story of the stripling warriors and play a beanbag toss game and give them a coloring page. In our games we will call out a commandment before tossing the bean bag into a bucket. I am not naturally patient and kind. Nevertheless, when I feel frustration creeping in, I remember my oldest son and calm myself. He was a firecracker but very tender and kind boy. Because he was active with language barriers, some adults didn't treat him well. No child on my watch will feel unwelcome or unloved. Jesus loves all these children and Heavenly Father made the way they are for His purposes. I can go the extra mile and find out how to reach each one.