"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

a good feeling to know you're alive

Praying For...Tyson, our six-year-old birthday boy, that he may learn to love learning as he begins formal academics this year. Also, I pray for him and all children everywhere to keep the innocence of childhood as long as possible and find Jesus. Also, I pray that people around the world might stop fighting, love their neighbor, plant a garden, and tend to their family business.

Pondering Jesus' Words..."And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my bbody which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me," Luke 22:19. Children can understand so much if we just give them the chance. Teaching my Primary class about the Sacrament was a blast. I asked them about promises. The sacrament is a weekly reminder of the promises we make at baptism. What are those promises? We take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, always remember Him, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end. What does that mean? We join His church and tell others about Him. By living a charitable (loving) life, keeping his commandments, and finding ways to help others, we remember Him. Little people understand acting nice and good as ambassadors of Jesus. They can learn to obey parents and the joy of living the other commandments. They understand keeping promises.

Espanol...Today two new children came to my Primary class who can't speak a word of English. Although their mother is a US citizen born and bred in the US, she lived in Mexico for a few years. During those years, her two lovely children were born. So I'm pretty disappointed in myself for not being as diligent in learning Spanish as I could have been. A few years back, I was prompted to learn Spanish because I would be called upon to teach the children of Lehi. Since it didn't seem that this would be any time soon, I was lax. Now, I want to teach these littles all about Jesus. Of course they learn at home, but our class is a fun place to be. My goal now is to learn a few phrases each week, allowing me to teach in both languages. Most Primary lessons can be condensed into a few phrases anyway. The format in which I teach lends itself perfectly to this. We play games that have me asking the children and repeating the ideas over and over. They love it; I love it. Now, let's hope my new Spanish speaking littles love it.

Bibliophilia...Of course most of my free time is spent studying God's word, but a little children's literature isn't a bad way to wind down the end of the day.I read a pile of books this week of which Bud, not Buddy was my favorite. I also read Revolution Is Not A Dinner Party. Reading about life under communism, I am brought to my knees in gratitude. I'm not sure why God blessed me to be born in this great land of liberty, but I count my blessings daily that I have enough to eat, shoes/clothes, running water, decent housing, privacy, relative safety and peace, free speech, freedom of movement/choice/religion, and so on and so forth.

Cucina Fresca....We've called this dirty rice or naked burritos. Whatever the title, this plant perfect peasant dish pleases people. On a platter, place chopped romaine lettuce, brown rice or quinoa, black or pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, thawed frozen corn, chopped green onions, water chestnuts, chopped cilantro, chopped roasted chilis, chopped red bell pepper, chopped diced avocado (keep this from browning by spritzing with lime juice and tossing with powdered chili molido), and salsa. Serve warm corn tortillas and fruit on the side. So far nobody has turned up their noses, and I've served this to people of all dietary persuasions.


No joke...I've been craving these chilis. Then I found this video. THEN...I went to the grocers, where they were roasting tons of them as part of their end of summer sidewalk sale. Guess who bought 3 lbs of roasted, hatch chilis?

Mission Life...hosted a small maintenance crew this week of young people. Like all the other groups, they worked hard through their assignment. They prepped fences for painting by scrubbing off moss, mildew, and dirt. Keeping white fencing in good shape is hard in this wet climate. They logged many hours that simply couldn't have been completed by us. I'm grateful for young people who are willing to work and their leaders for setting things up to make it possible.

Sound of Music...it's a good feeling to know you're alive...lately I just can't stop singing and praising. In our Primary, there is a little girl that reminds me of our little Katie. No, her looks aren't it except for the medium brown hair and messy appearance. It's her singing. She loves to sing the Primary songs and does so with a clear and loud voice. Unfortunately, like Katie she can't carry a tune in a bucket. All through singing time, it made me smile and even laugh. Then it made me cry. This year we are singing Katie's favorite song, A Child's Prayer. When the whole Primary was singing and our little out of tune singer belted it out, I lost it. The spirit was so strong as it whispered to me that our Katie hasn't been forgotten and she hasn't forgotten me.

Garden Gate...ordered these light bulbs for my indoor garden, which will free up my hubby's cowboy studio. The greens are coming along nicely. It shouldn't be too much longer before they are ready. It's just my way of taking back what is rightfully mine.

Needle News...I bought some cute fabric to make some new napkins. Our old ones are badly stained and frayed. Hopefully, my Ginghers will be in the box that Spencer sent. If so I should have the cutest table ever by Tuesday.

Nature...our crazy hooting owl is back. Gotta love that guy.

Pen and Brush...Most of the inflammation from my binge is almost gone. Should be able to draw and paint again soon.