"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

b+

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things," Philippians 4:8

Often the mission is just as much for the missionary as it is for those served. Advising youth, I tell them to give people the benefit of a doubt, that nobody is offensive on purpose, and that most people want to do good. Lately, that lesson has been driven home on my mission. Not only do I now believe and hope our workers are honorable, I know it. I love that I can say without reservation, 'The young people who come to do maintenance here are good kids.' Not once have I encountered an attitude or anger or negativity with these adults in training. Sometimes, however, setting up these projects on email, I get the feeling the adults don't want to work. It's never been true, so why do I continue to get that vibe. Likely, I'm looking for it.

From now on I choose to believe that every group coming here has honorable intentions. Our LDS kids are good kids, even the ones in their 30s and 40s. (No, they aren't kids after age 12 in my mind, but 'kids' is a colloquialism.) I won't choose to believe the worst about anyone until they demonstrate it. I choose to believe the best about people and focus/meditate on the positive.