"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Grand Challenge

Many people know I love to send letters to my grands. I tell them the interesting things we do and ask about their lives. Because it is central to my life and desire it become so to them, I talk a bit about the character and gospel of Jesus Christ. For the little while, I've been encouraging the older ones to learn the articles of faith. We are on article four right now.

"The Articles of Faith outline 13 basic points of belief among members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Prophet Joseph Smith first wrote them in a letter to John Wentworth, a newspaper editor, in response to Mr. Wentworth’s request to know what members of the Church believed. They were subsequently published in Church periodicals. They are now regarded as scripture and included in the Pearl of Great Price."

"We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost." Article of Faith 4

"A principle is a fundamental law or truth, such as faith and repentance. An ordinance is a sacred act performed by the authority of the priesthood such as baptism and confirmation.

Faith is hope for things that we cannot see but are true. We believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and we trust Him to help and guide us.

Repentance is when we change our hearts to be more like Heavenly Father. When we do something wrong, we feel sorry and promise ourselves and Heavenly Father that we will not do that wrong thing again. When we repent we can be forgiven because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Baptism is the first step in becoming a member of Jesus Christ’s Church. We can be baptized, when we are eight years old. At age eight, we are old enough to know the difference between right and wrong.

The gift of the Holy Ghost is given to us by a priesthood holder after we are baptized. The Holy Ghost prompts us to choose the right, comforts us, and helps us understand eternal truths. The Holy Ghost is like a, small voice that we feel in our minds and hearts." April 2011 Friend

I'm trying to memorize these right along with the grandchildren. Of course I helped most of my children learn and understand them, but in all my efficiency towards them I didn't commit them all to memory. One great idea I heard about is jumping rope to help memorize them. Post an article of faith on the wall and look at it while jumping. Builds the body and the spirit.