"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

i have a dream

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God," Romans 8:16

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream I have a dream...that little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers." Martin Luther King, August 28, 1963

I was born just a few months after MLK said this and a few weeks before John F. Kennedy was assassinated. A tumultuous time to be born, it was, nevertheless, a grand and hopeful time as well. The horrors of slavery were over but not the heinousness of prejudice. Puzzled, I well remember adults spewing hate at people for their ethnicity, while I loved and embraced my Mexican, Italian, Black, and Asian friends.

In the tiny corner of the world, where I live, I see Mr. King's dream fulfilled. In our little branch primary, Ethiopian, Chinese, African-American, Persian, and first generation Mexican American children make up more than half our numbers. We are a mini United Nations of which I'm thrilled to be a part. It isn't hard to love these little ones; they are children of my Heavenly Father and Jesus died for them, too.

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus," Galatians 3:26.

After enduring racism in Hawaii as a European/Native American caucasian, I'm even more sensitive to tolerance for differences; I get the whole thing now. Consequently, I go out of my way to be friendly and more careful with my words. Diversity encourages compassion and charity. I have a dream that more and more people will put prejudice and racism in the garbage where it belongs and choose Christian charity.

"I remind you that no [person] who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ," Gordon B. Hinckley, April 1, 2006.