"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

peace and growth

Praying For...Sammy, this week's birthday girl, that she will come to know Jesus Christ in a deep,  personal manner. We hope she accepts the scripture challenge we gave her. We loved spending time with her recently. Not too long ago, she apparently joined in a Mandarin conversation with a little girl and her mother without realizing she was speaking Mandarin. Still, she won't sow off her Mandarin at all.

Pondering Jesus' Word..."A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another," John 13:34. After teaching this concept to my class (5-year-olds) with two added sunbeams (4-year-olds), we came to the conclusion that the main component of loving others is kindness. The children had no trouble with this concept.

Bibliophilia...more like book gluttony...Although I detest the word diet, I read The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone thoroughly enjoying it. This fall I intend to try all of her squash recipes. Also read, Homesick by Jean Fritz which was tolerable but not great. Also, I didn't care for the little tidbit about the family of secret nudies who eventually became a broken family. I would love to recommend it to young people but this part disallows that. The semi-smut could have easily been left out. Then too, the history portions could have been expanded.

Garden Gate...my little green garden in the attic is doing well. It's past the micro green stage, which I enjoyed on afternoon. In another couple weeks, I should be dining on greens from my own labors. Green gluttony here I come.

Movement...as my mother's daughter, I've grown up with a fear of getting fat and no stranger to eating disorders. I am so done restricting, because kind exercise, like yoga and walking, is so much more effective. Yes, kind eating allows me eat more, but even too much fruit and rice can make one put on pounds with a sedentary lifestyle. I love the way I feel, too.

Sound of Music...I'll ever be grateful to Mrs. Jean Davis of William C. Jack Elementary for teaching me to play the violin with the Suzuki Method and my parents for allowing it. (I wish I could find her and thank her.) As I play hymns, I sing the words in my mind. "sacred hymns...[have] a powerful effect in converting people to the principles of the gospel and in promoting peace and spiritual growth. Singing is a prayer to the Lord, as He has said: “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads,” Doctrine and Covenants 25:12. My soul has always delighted in listening to singing, having been passionately fond of it all my life, and I am delighted to be able today to pray unto the Lord “in the songs of the heart.” It is my opinion that if we will all remember the words of the Lord, that the song of the righteous is a prayer unto him, and shall be answered with a blessing upon our heads, and will frequently supplicate our Heavenly Father in the sweet songs of Zion, earnestly and honestly echoing in our hearts the sentiments of our beautiful hymns, that we are bound to have the promised blessings, which I urge upon the Saints to try and obtain." Heber J. Grant, “Learning to Sing,” Improvement Era, Oct. 1900, 892.

Cucina Fresca...my new VT came to visit and asked about my allergy problem. When I explained my exclusions, she was horrified. Of the dead animal flesh crowd, it took awhile to wrap her mind around it. Although she is Mexican, she couldn't accept the fact that eating beans, corn tortillas, rice, and lots of fruits and veg could satisfy and nourish. Finally, I told her I understand the flavors of Mexico, Italy, Greece, India, and so forth. Neither meat nor cheese not fat are necessary to carry great flavor. Defensive she started in on the protein and calcium thing. After I explained those, she was still unconvinced but coming around. After this exchange, I decided I'm not going to try to explain it anymore. Anyway...this week's delicious attempt is Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini 1 c water, 1/2 c quinoa, 1 T. veg powder, 2 large zucchini, 1 small pureed onion, 1 clove pressed garlic, 1/8 t crushed red pepper, 1/2 c. diced mushrooms, 1 c garbanzo beans, 1 t coriander, 1 t cumin, 1/2 t dried mint leaves, 1/4 t cinnamon, Salt, and Pepper. Bring water to a boil, add quinoa, veg powder, onion, garlic, and mushrooms, cover, lower heat, simmer for 20 min. Arrange oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source. Preheat broiler. Line 9X13 pan with parchment. Trim zucchini and halve each lengthwise. With spoon, scoop out seeds from zucchini halves. Steam zucchini for 6 min. Stir spices and beans into quinoa, mashing slightly. Taste and adjust seasonings. Evenly mound quinoa filling in each zucchini half, packing tightly. Broil until golden.

Mission Life...we hosted a maintenance crew of approximately 50 youth and adults, half who trimmed brush away from the fences so the other half could scraped and painted. Their 300 hours is akin to 900 senior missionary hours. That is if we could even do it. What youth lack in judgement, they make up for with strength, agility, and endurance. There is nothing like a nice white fence in good repair.

Nature...the sunshine has been glorious although we've had our share of rain this week, too. A magnificent raven hung around here Saturday.

Espaniol...working with Pimsler again...at least I can order a cold beer and hot cup of coffee...right...