"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Jesus, the example

Yesterday, I was asked by my father if my church taught baptism for the remission of sins. I smiled, since my study focus this week is Article of Faith 4. "We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."

"And he [John the Baptist] came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;" Luke 3:3

"After he was resurrected, Jesus appeared and said: "And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins." Luke 24:47

"...Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan." Mark 1:9

"...And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized:" Mark 10:39

"And their little children need no repentance, neither baptism. Behold, baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sins." Moroni 8:11

With these scriptures in the forefront of my thoughts, I said: Yes, I believe the main point of baptism is the remission of sins. Only people who have reached some sort of understanding of sin and repentance require baptism. The very act of being immersed in the water symbolizes death of the old sinful self and birth of a new follower of Jesus Christ. Baptism is also an outward sign of inward commitment and covenant to always remember Jesus, to live the commandments according to His example, and to stand as His witness at all times and in all things and in all places. Even though some don't believe baptism is necessary, I believe Jesus showed us in His life the right way to behave. Jesus said come follow Me. If He being the most perfect person to walk the face of the earth needed baptism to fulfill the will of the Father, then I being extremely imperfect need that ordinance to make that covenant.