"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, May 19, 2014

the gate and the path

"...strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matthew 7:14 I found the gate and want to stay in the narrow way. Many in the world preach that people can do anything they want as long as they profess a belief in Jesus Christ. Studying the words of Christ, I know this isn't true. He expects us to travel the path by the map He drew in the scriptures. We must follow Him. Certainly, we can repent and be forgiven. However, I don't believe that means we can blatantly go and sin with the idea that we can just repent tomorrow. What if tomorrow doesn't come? Even though I will make mistakes, I must do all in my power to follow Jesus, repenting when I mess up. There is a distinct difference between the two attitudes. What is the gate? Where is the path? "We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost." Article of Faith 4

"Faith is hoping and believing in things that we cannot see but are true. Jesus Christ is my Savior, whom I trust to help and guide me. Faith is the gate latch.

Repentance is a change of heart or desire to be more like Heavenly Father. When I do something contrary to God's commandments, I feel sorry and promise Heavenly Father not to do that wrong thing again. When I repent I can be forgiven because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Repentance is the threshold of the gate as well as fuel along the path.

After the repenting change of hearts and desire to be more like Heavenly Father, baptism is the next step (or the weekly sacramental renewing of baptism). Baptism is a sacred ordinance performed by the authority of the priesthood. Anyone who has reached the age of accountability, eight-years-old in most cases, can and should be baptized. Baptism is stepping over the threshold onto the true path.

The Gift of the Holy Ghost is given to us by a priesthood holder after baptism during confirmation. The Holy Ghost prompts me to choose the right, comforts me, and helps me understand eternal truths. The Holy Ghost is like a still, small voice that I feel in our mind and heart. The scriptures (and all we learn in the scriptures that Jesus has asked us to do), prayer, Gift of the Holy Ghost, weekly sacrament, and repentance are guideposts along the path.

A principle is a fundamental law or truth. Faith and repentance are principles of the gospel. An ordinance is a sacred act performed by the authority of the priesthood. Baptism and confirmation are ordinances," Paraphrased from Article of Faith 4, April 2011, Friend. "This reminds me faith and repentance aren't enough. I must continue to press forward with a steadfastness in Christ. I must continue to press forward with a steadfastness in Christ. The fourth step in coming unto Christ is to keep the covenants made. I am supported in keeping covenants as I receive the sacrament weekly in sacrament meetings. Participating in this continuing ordinance refreshes and renews me and is part of the process of strengthening my faith in Christ. The sacrament is a vital part of the ongoing process of repenting. Repentance is the continuous, lifelong process of aligning, correcting, and tying myself with the Father and His desire to bring me back into His presence, to help me become even as He is. Thus, I can come unto Christ," Paraphrased from the sermon Will You? Implementing the Mission of the Church, V. Dallas Merrell.