"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, May 16, 2014

The Joyful Burden of Discipleship

This week my study focus was Ronald A Rasband's sermon The Joyful Burden of Discipleship. all quotes are from this sermon unless otherwise noted. It's interesting to me that my study of Article of Faith 3, which is all about obeying commandments and keeping covenants coincides with my study of this talk. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are taught a lot that the baptismal covenant is to 'bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ,' Galatians 6:2. Because the nature of most humans is to be self-centered and self-absorbed, we are constantly taught and encouraged to get outside our own little worlds in service to others. This not only helps the person we serve but helps us find greater meaning in life. " For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it," Matthew 16:25.

"Jesus Christ continues to extend the call, 'come and follow me,' Matthew 19:21. He walked His homeland with His followers in a selfless manner. He continues to walk with us, stand by us, and lead us. To follow His perfect example is to recognize and honor the Savior, who has borne all of our burdens through His sacred and saving Atonement, the ultimate act of service. What He asks of each one of us is to be able and willing to take up the joyful 'burden' of discipleship."

"Often we are given the opportunity to help others in their time of need. As members of [His] Church, we each have the sacred responsibility 'to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light,' 'to mourn with those that mourn,' and to 'lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees,' Mosiah 18:8, Mosiah 18:9, and Doctrine and Covenants 81:5. '"

"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.' Mosiah 2:17Focusing on serving our brothers and sisters can guide us to make divine decisions in our daily lives and prepares us to value and love what the Lord loves. In so doing, we witness by our very lives that we are His disciples. When we are engaged in His work, we feel His Spirit with us. We grow in testimony, faith, trust, and love."

While I can't say I perfect, who can. When I do serve others and get out of my head, I feel fantastic. It's a tiny taste of the love I felt during a very sacred and spiritual experience. Tangibly, I know the love of my Savior and want to do all I can to feel that again someday. Hmmm....Wow....maybe my focus is still skewed toward me-ness...I need to lose that and serve to honor Jesus instead of the awesome way it makes me feel.