"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

blooming roses

Praying For...Quinn, our little comedian...that he will be happy, healthy, safe, and know Jesus. I know I always pray for these things, yet these are the most basic tools of a joyful life, the most important things...I also pray that he will not be touched by the evils of this world...that he will continue to heal with the choices his parents are making with his irritating but not life threatening health challenge...that the leaders of the world will soften their hearts to the plight of children and make children's issues of family, education, nutrition, and safety a priority in the communities of their nations, thus inviting their citizens to remain as nation builders.

Bibliophilia...bought Life of Fred--Butterflies (my absolute favorite math series which doesn't feel like math at all), Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House), Space (Magic Tree House Research Guide), and the next set of MCP Phonics Readers for Quinn. Education is next in importance to religion in my book. Both my husband and I are willing to sacrifice a little money and time here and there to demonstrate this principle to our grandchildren with the books and letters we send in conjunction with our grandchild of the week tradition. It also teaches them that they are important to us.

Mommy Moment...I miss being a mommy but am so glad I had that opportunity. My youngest son is visiting this week, which is always fun. We spent so much time together homeschooling that our bond runs very deeply. We banter and laugh a lot. We discuss important things a little, too.

Teaching...Because I missed homeschooling so much, I began mentoring and tutoring about seven years ago. For awhile I did this for money, but I don't like the expectations or attitudes of the parents with the exchange of money. They go from grateful to critical and demanding. I've watched youngsters who were seemingly dumb as a post discover intelligence and drive. A few made astonishing progress. My mentoring pool has dwindled because of graduation to adulthood; now I only have two such students. The oldest is brighter than the average youngster, she took my favored path in a way. Although she began high school at twelve as most youth are capable of doing, she didn't want to pursue college testing at that time. Upon completing high school studies at 15ish, she began Adler's Gateway the the Great Books, The Great Ideas Program (with great books), Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare (with Bowdler's Family Shakespeare), Harvard Shelf of Fiction, along with science, math, poetry, and writing. This year she'll finish this study and has asked to continue on with me as mentor to complete college testing. The other girl will finish high school in two years. I thought thought my mentoring days were coming to a close, but I'm live tutoring a few children and hope one may end up as a mentee. These new youth have given me a run for my money as many tried and true resources simply didn't get through to them. Finally, I found and re-discovered materials that worked, uncovering intelligent students once again. One exceptional find with my newest charges is Life of Fred math series from elementary arithmetic through college calculus. It's funny and so easy to understand. I also discovered somewhere along the way that teaching drawing along with the three Rs allows me to reach young people faster and on a different level. They learn that communication doesn't have to use words, which seems to loosen up some of their fear of failure. I love teaching, because it allows me to watch the blooming of human roses.

Pen and Brush...I began a new story, which I don't plan to ever publish. I write because my imagination keeps me awake at night. When I know I'll empty my brain every day, I don't have to keep all the details of my newest imaginings straight. In a way, I'm robbing the doctors once again. Another way I rob the doctor is drawing. How? It's as if I can pour my mind out a bit into my drawings. Of course, like my writing, my art is private and for my eyes only. Still, I enjoy this part of my life.

Sound of Music...ukulele is easy and fun...it takes little skill to play fairly well. I am a complete novice but have a gas playing and singing along to my various cds. I also found one with Hawaiian music, which I've loved since our residence on Oahu. It wasn't a conscious choice, but my violin is taking a back seat. I'll have to make a concerted effort to keep it going as well.