"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

warmer climes

Praying For...Claire the sweetest little girl on the face of the earth...that she will be happy, healthy, safe, and know Jesus as her Savior and Friend...that the evils of this world will pass her by...that her introduction to school will be kind and gentle...that hearts of the leaders of nations will be softened toward their citizens, their neighbors, and God-given liberty.

Jesus' Words..."Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward, Psalm 127:3. With each generation, the window to get it right with little children is so small. We don't get any do-overs. As adults, we must remember to follow Jesus' example to turn the other cheek. In essence we must act like adults. How does the child want to be treated by the adult especially during conflict? We are all born with free agency and are required to act with charity during difficult situations. There is never an excuse to berate, belittle, or strike a child. I learned that as soon as they can talk, they can begin to understand reason. If we put ourselves in their place and try to figure out why they are crying or whatever, we can name the feeling. When the child feels love and understanding, they are more able to gain composure. But if we yell at them or worse, we teach them to act anger in frustrating situations.

Remembrance...Friday was Katie's birthday. If she had lived, she would be 26. Since N needed my help, I went over with the intent of stopping at the cemetery afterward. Aaarrrrgggh! The sprinklers were on. So Katie and I had a short conversation in the car. I wonder if I'm the only one that remembers her on her birthday now...

Dr Ginger, Medicine Woman...so excited that plant based, nutritional medicine is going mainstream...



Cucina Fresca...I developed a 15 minute meal with things in my fridge and pantry.

Rotini con Piselli e Pomodoro...AKA Nana's Ninja Noodles

1 pound whole grain spirals (tinkyada brown rice tastes the most like traditional pasta)
1/4 c minced red onion (can substitute green onions but put them in after the carrots are tender)
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1-2 carrot, diced
1 c minced green cabbage (dehydrated works well here)
4-5 cherry tomatoes quartered (reserved/optional)
a couple twists freshly ground black pepper
1 T powdered dehydrated mixed vegetables
1/8 t red pepper flakes
6 T tomato paste
1 t Italian herbs
10 oz frozen peas
2 T raw pumpkin seeds (or pine nuts)
1 T minced fresh parsley
2 T nutritional yeast (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cut up veggies. Add the pasta, cabbage, and peas and cook until al dente, 7-8 minutes. While pasta is cooking. Water saute veg, pepper flakes, and herbs over medium high heat adding more water as it is absorbed. Don't let it burn. While veg are sauteing, cook a package of some frozen/fresh green veg or make a green salad. It takes about 7 minutes for the veggies to soften this way. Drain the pasta, reserving 2 cups of the pasta water. Stir in tomato paste, nutritional yeast, and 1 c. hot pasta water into onions until a sauce is formed. Toss pasta and sauce Gently fold in the cooked pasta, peas, and the cheeses, adding more reserved pasta water if necessary. Transfer to a heated serving platter and garnish with a tiny sprinkling of coarse salt, reserved tomatoes, parsley, and pumpkin seeds. Serve with a side of some green vegetable or large green salad dressed with maple mustard dressing (a variation of Jane Esselstyn's 321 dressing): 1 T real maple syrup (or honey), 2 T salt free mustard, 3 T rice vinegar OR 2 T quality balsamic vinegar, and 1 T apple cider vinegar.

Bibliophilia...I'm looking forward to getting back into my study of the great books, which one of my scholars is pursuing. I love to mentor young adults. They keep my outlook fresh.

Sound of Music...I love Alex Boye's music. He has a new song out that makes me smile. Here's his newest original song. Listen to it! I want to learn to play and sing this one. It would be cute on uke.

Thimble News...Working on designing a new dress. In the past, I made a skirt completely by hand. I'd like to try this with the new dress in my head. I thing it will be pretty. It's sort of along the lines of a regency empire but I want it to be more comfortable and casual with a modest neckline. The bodice will be a raglan peasant with an empire waist A-line mid-calf skirt. The fabric is a very light floral eyelet that I will line with whisper thin muslin. Right now it's only in my mind, although I do have the cloth. It will be good for warmer climes.