"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

greatest blessing

Praying For...Cole, our little professor, that he will be happy, healthy, safe, good, and know Jesus as his Savior and Friend...that he will learn to be a peacemaker...that he will escape the evils and violence of this world...that the leaders of nations will stop their blood-thirsty power-monging to become true leaders instead of heavy-handed dictators and that goes for the president of the US, too...that citizens of the earth will 'listen without prejudice, love without limits, and reverse the hate."

Jesus Word..."A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another," John 13:34. I'm horrified by the war zone that broke this month out in a supposedly peaceful American neighborhood. I'm saddened that this isn't really a new thing. I'm broken hearted that people have lost civility and brotherly love to such an extent that nobody will listen to any opinion that doesn't match their own. We must open civil dialog first seeking to understand. Only when people feel heard will they listen. Racism exists in this country. While it is true that many don't hate others of diverse colors and religions, others do. It's not all light against dark either. I've heard horrible hate spewed by closed minded people of many persuasions. I never really believed that this problem really existed until I experienced it myself. Once a black neighbor, whom I provided free childcare and transportation, brought racism into the picture after two of our children got into a childish fight. My daughter said some terrible things which she had learned at school. He was convinced we taught her those things, refusing to open his eyes to the fact that I served his family daily out of neighborly love. As a minority in Hawaii, I was called names and treated poorly by many. I love Hawaii and the aloha culture but sadly minorities are treated with prejudice by many simple-minded people there. God created humans with variety just as he did animals and plants. Variety is interesting and brings beauty if we can appreciate it.

Bibliophilia...read a cookbook connected with a youtube channel, depression cooking. The book is Clara's Kitchen: Wisdom, Memories, and Recipes from the Great Depression by Clara Cannucciari. It's a very special view of that time period with a lot of great ideas for cooking nutritious plant-based food. Sure, there are a few recipes with animal foods, but these are easily skipped. All have too much oil which is easily omitted. Her wisdom resonates with me. "Where there is dirt there is food...we ate lots of pasta, potatoes, and bread with vegetables, which made us strong and healthy...I lived healthy and strong into my 90s eating this way." I've had lots of fun making some of her recipes and plan to make many more. My favorite so far is pasta with peas although I use frozen peas. I sent Cole Archimedes and the Door of Science, The Golden Goblet, and Life of Fred--Cats. To me education is next in importance to religion and family. I send great books and loving letters to the grandchildren to inspire their love of learning, love of God, and love of Grammy. lol

Cucinia Fresca...The other day I made lentil soup that didn't turn out like it usually does. However, it was much better than any lentil soup I've ever eaten. J gave it an 8, but I give it a 9. It would make a good taco filling but is delicious as a stew in a bowl.

New Lentil Stew

2/3 c brown basmati rice
1/4 c lentils
2 1/4 c water
2 T powdered dried veggie mix
1/4 c each dried spinach and cabbage (or 1/2 c each of fresh)
smoked paprika, dried mustard, chipotle, oregano

Bring to boil. Simmer an hour. Serve topped with hot sauce or red enchilada sauce (2-3 c boiling water to soak 3 dried anaheims and 2 dried anchos until soft. Put in blender with pinch chipotle powder and salt, dry sautéed onion and garlic, 2-3 tomatoes, 1-2 T tapioca starch. Strain and heat to desired consistency).

Visitors...we've had one after another visitors over the month, which to me is heaven. Our final visitor left Friday morning, so now is all quiet again...I like this, too. Mom, Arlen, Emily, Nathan, Sammy, Quinn, and Spencer gave us the clear message that we are wanted, needed, and loved. Family is the greatest blessing. Those that can't travel to visit call when they can, which also brings joy.

Nature News...I'll be sorry to leave the most beautiful, peaceful place on earth. The fog between the massive, sweet, smelling fir trees, the cool shade, the deer and other wildlife, the silly raven and hooting owl, the red fox, the crunchy fir cones, the heady scented Clerodendrum trichotomum tree, the dogwoods and and and...oh I will miss this place...but I'm looking forward to my own home and garden again...maybe I'll plant a Clerodendrum trichotomum to remember along with the asparagus, morninga, gogi berry, lisbon lemon, key lime, curry tree, and many gold nugget mandarines I have in mind.

Doctor Ginger, Medicine Woman...WARNING...if you ever use oil of oregano, make sure it's a brand that is cut with olive oil or cut it yourself. I received quite a bad, blistering, bleeding burn on my face this week, because I forgot this crucial information.