"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

now that's progress!

Late Journal Entry...Since I was so busy last week preparing a talk and my grandchildren showed up two days earlier than expected without their parents, I didn't get my journal written on Sunday. "We may think there is little of interest or importance in what we personally say or do—but it is remarkable how many of our families, as we pass on down the line, are interested in all that we do and all that we say...From time immemorial the Lord has counseled us to be a record-keeping people. Abraham had a book of remembrance, and Adam had one," Spencer W. Kimball, Ensign, December 1980.

Praying For...our birthday girl, Sammy, who's growing into a lovely young lady...she's so interested in the world around her...she's smart and funny and good and kind and artistic...I pray that she will have the blessing of growing up without experiencing the evils of this world...that she will know Jesus Christ as her personal Savior and Friend...that she will choose the right way to be happy...that leaders of nations will cease their blood-thirsty, power-hungry destruction and wars...let them instead choose peace, kindness, and love.

Happiest Event...last night we held FHE with some of our children and grandchildren plus the young elders here. We ate a delicious plant-based meal, sang hymns around the piano, listened to the young elders teach gospel principles, enjoyed the lovely musical presentations of E and S, and played silly games until bed time. I miss times like these. Raising a family is crazy, busy. Sometimes children rebel and break your heart, but it is so worth all the heart ache. Then they grow up and leave parents without a backward glance. It's as it should be. Parents miss beautiful times like these, never regretting all the sacrifice it took to make those memories. We also spent lots of time at the beach. The weather changed overnight so beach going might be out for the rest of the visit.

Jesus Word..."...above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins," 1 Peter 4:8. As with most people, developing charity has been difficult for me. I tend toward selfishness and am too quick with my retorts. Grandma is so good at pausing and moving forward with turtle tactics. She always stops to ask herself, what would Jesus do, before responding. She's done so for 88 years. Maybe with a few more years of pause moments under my belt, I'll be more like her, more like Jesus Christ. By her actions, she taught me how to achieve the character traits of long-suffering, patience, and behaving not unseemly. The older she gets the more I see his image in her countenance. I want that.

Cucina Fresca...our FHE meal was loved by all including a few carnivores who had no idea everything was plant based. E and I prepared quinoa tacos with lettuce and red pepper strips, sautéed mushrooms, watermelon, and fruit smoothies. Quinoa has become my favorite grain, because it is so versatile. The carnivores thought our taco filling was ground meat. The newest, reluctant herbivore in our family asked for the recipe. Now that's progress!


My favorite new gadget makes perfect oil free crunchy taco shells. I have to say making 36 wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. I just moved it in and out of the oven as I prepared the other foods.


Quinoa Taco Filling (Makes 36 tacos)

2 c quinoa
1 lb frozen corn
1 can black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bag frozen pepper strips
16 oz salsa or tomatoes
16 oz water
1 t oregano
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t chipotle paste
pureed onions and garlic (optional)
powdered dehydrated veg mix (optional)
dehydrated spinach (optional)
chopped cilantro (optional)


Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is translucent. Top with sautéed mushrooms, salsa, shredded romaine lettuce, sliced peppers, jalapenos, and tomatoes.

Sautéed Mushrooms

2 lbs white and crimini mushrooms, sliced 1 t oregano 1 bunch green onions

Saute over medium heat in a couple T water until tender and water has evaporated. If they begin to stick before they are tender, add a bit more water to the pan.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...I'm not a doctor of any kind but a student of natural healing. I burned my hand last night putting a tray of taco shells into the oven. It's a pretty deep burn. But...it never hurt. Immediately, I put it under cold water. My SIL got out my lavender essential oil. I put a bit on the burn every couple minutes, while I finished making dinner. Today it doesn't even look like a burn but a scrap in my finger. Not too bad...