"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, September 8, 2014

how I wish



Today, I study Chapter 13 of Jesus the Christ. It's been awhile since I worked on this. I feel ready again. All quotes are from this chapter unless otherwise noted.

John 8:48
John 4:4-43
Genesis 33:19
Joshua 24:32
Acts 8:5; 9:31; 15:3

Themes in this passage include testimony, prophecy, and tolerance. While all are valid for exploration, I feel inspired to stick to tolerance. Especially during this time of great racial unrest and invasion of the border between Mexico and the U.S., people are questioning and over sensitive. Jesus taught us that He loves all people. "It is beyond question that Jesus did not share in the national prejudice of the Jews against the people of Samaria; an honest soul was acceptable to Him come whence he may." This idea was echoed by a recent modern prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley.

"I remind you that no man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ...I have recognized and spoken a number of times on the diversity we see in our society. It is all about us, and we must make an effort to accommodate that diversity. Let us all recognize that each of us is a son or daughter of our Father in Heaven, who loves all of His children...there is no basis for racial hatred...If any...is inclined to indulge in this, then let him go before the Lord and ask for forgiveness and be no more involved in such...I do not know why there is so much conflict and hatred and bitterness in the world. Of course, I know that all of this is the work of the adversary. He works on us as individuals. He destroys strong men," The Need for Greater Kindness, Gordon B. Hinckley, April 2006.

"What we need to do in this PC world is forget about unanimity of speech and unanimity of thought, and we need to concentrate on being respectful to those people with whom we disagree...kind and compassionate speech is meant to take into consideration the feelings and circumstances of others without compromising the truth. It is a much better alternative," Ben Carson.

After having tutored Hispanic, Black, and Caucasian children, I testify that the differences and prejudices we experience during adulthood are NOT present in children. Cultural differences and incorrect traditions can build walls. As a child, I had many Mexican, Asian, mixed-race, and Black friends. Suddenly during high school, many of the Mexicans would no longer associate with the other youth in school. How and why did this divide occur? Incorrect traditional views created the divide. As an adult, I sadly experienced similar walls with others that look different from me. However, I have many friends that do not look like me. I love people and look at "the content of their character."

The races are a flower garden. God created many shapes and colors of flowers to make the world more interesting and beautiful. Likewise, God's children come in various colors, sizes, and so forth to make the world more interesting. My wise, 97-year-old grandmother says, 'If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place.' That's how I see it. How I wish I could influence others to see the world's population the same and to embrace these teachings of Jesus. It begins with love and listening. "First seek to understand, then be understood," Steven Covey. All through the teachings of Jesus, we learn to love our neighbor.