"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, September 26, 2014

the vista before me

April Conference had more talks than weeks in six months. Nonetheless, I studied nearly all the talks in this little book club. This weekend the precursor to General Conference occurs with the General Woman's Meeting, which brings me to an end of studying the April sermons. This week I studied the sermon Where Your Treasure Is by Michael John U. Teh. All quotes are from his words unless otherwise noted.

"There is no end to what the world has to offer, so it is critical that we learn to recognize when we have enough. If we are not careful, we will begin to chase after the temporal more than the spiritual."

“Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness,” 2 Nephi 9:51.

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also,” Matthew 6:19–21.

"...it will be well for us to acquire the Christlike attributes of faith, hope, humility, and charity. We have been counseled repeatedly to put off the natural man and become as a child. The Savior’s admonition is for us to strive to be perfect like Him and our Heavenly Father...we need to put more quality time and effort into strengthening family relationships. After all, the family is ordained of God. It is the most important unit in time and in eternity...serving others is a hallmark of a true follower of Christ...understanding the doctrine of Christ and strengthening our testimony is a labor that will bring real joy and satisfaction. We need to consistently study the words of Christ as found in the scriptures and the words of living prophets.”

I used to look at lists like this as more on my to do list, a list that was so long I was forever behind. Finally, I realized my to do list won't be complete until I die. When I instead view my list as a life plan, there is no behind. Instead of fatigue and anxiety, I feel exhilarated at the possiblities spread out on the vista before me. For the most part, I can't wait to get up in the morning and see where the Holy Spirit directs my day.