"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

a twist

Praying For...Tyson...although my prayers for my grandchildren appear repetitious, they are not vein repetition...I truly hope for them good health, happiness, safety, love of learning, good family life, and love of Jesus Christ...I want their neighbors and parents and political leaders to love them, protect them, and cherish them...I want said neighbors and leaders to open their eyes, hearts, minds, and souls to practices and policies that will protect the sanctity of childhood and family life, promote domestic tranquility and property rights, push for classical education over indoctrination and frivolous activities, listen and dialog without contention or stubbornness, and grow gardens instead of cultivate incivility and division.

Jesus Word..."...He will make...her desert like the garden of the Lord...joy and gladness shall be found therein..." 2 Nephi 8:3. I know this isn't the literal meaning of this scripture, but I felt it a message to me today in answer to prayer. God loves me and always answers my prayers if I am willing to open my eyes, ears, and heart.

Cucina Fresca...Although I absolutely love eating a plant-based diet, it is occasionally inconvenient; the majority of food must be prepared at home to keep down oil, salt, sugar, and of course animal products. I've been without a stove or oven for nearly a month now, because the contractor didn't wire it correctly. At first, I did a lot of microwaving. While it's still a convenient mode of preparing food, slowly the Sun Oven is becoming a normal part of my days. This makes me more than happy, since I like harnessing free power from the sun. Friday, I tried out my old favorite lentil soup but with a twist.

Vegan Vegetable Soup For Two

1 c brown lentils
4 cups water
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 whole, small Anaheim peppers, stem removed only-don't cut into pepper
2 T dehydrated veg powder
1 c dehydrated spinach or 4 c minced greens
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything except salt in a dark pot. Put in sun oven and cook according to the sun that day. After an  hour, the lentils should be tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve each bowl receiving a pepper, a nice helping of steamed, seasoned greens, and brown rice, which can be cooked in the sun oven at the same time. I also bake a sweet potato at the same time for dessert.

Garden Gate...started some pigeon peas indoors. I had no idea what these were when I learned they are a great perennial crop for hot desert regions. Searching on the internet, I discovered they are delicious guandules. Years ago my Dominican friends taught me to make the comfort food of the Dominican Republic, guandules and rice. Dominican food is well seasoned with coriander, cumin, paprika, garlic, turmeric, and saffron, according to these friends. With my own crop, I won't have to buy the guandules in cans to make it. Fresh, they will make this favorite dish or double as English peas. Dried, they are similar to large lentils, which I enjoy quite a bit.