"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

epiphany, “DO IT.”

Praying For...Oakley, a darling granddaughter of nearly eight...that she will discover her talents and develop her testimony, allowing her to focus her energy on positive activities. Active, engaged children don't often grow into self-absorbed, rebellious youth...also that her parents extend plenty of affection and charity...that leaders of nations both friend and foe will be blessed with an epiphany of peace and good will toward all...that children around the world will know the joy of faith, safety, security, and plenty.

Jesus' Word...two scriptures have been on my mind the last little while..."Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do," 2 Nephi 32:3. "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life," 2 Nephi 31:20. I've been sort of introverted the last few weeks, which has given me freedom to feast. However, I miss my online journal, too. I've got to find a happy medium, since both are important to my happiness.

Movement...We are both getting older, 59 and 51, and haven't liked what we see or how we feel. Even though we both walk and do other exercise, poor posture, pain, stiffness, and slowing down are beginning to occur. Yes, I've had lots of positive rewards from yoga, rolling, and physio-stretching, but old-people symptoms getting worse for the next 30 or 40 years are not my idea of living. I see older loved ones with backs and such that ache so much they have difficulty moving and become less active. We never watch television. However, this week we were staying at a place with television. I saw the tail end of a PBS fund raiser with Classical Stretch and Aging Backwards as the focus. Listening to Miranda's short lecture about posture, pain, stiffness, and so forth, I was inspired that this was an answer to my prayers about my current pain level. I immediately looked for everything I could find on the internet about it, read her book, and tried a mini workout; I felt fantastic. We did a full workout the next day. True, it's only been a week, but we both can't believe how much we like it. Instead of feeling like going back to bed after a workout, we are energized by Classical Stretch. Instead of creeping along with extra sore muscles, as we have beginning other exercise programs, we feel less pain and more mobility. It's so invigorating that I can't wait to do it each morning and often add a second session in the afternoon. Most exercising take monumental effort to continue. "Oh, no, is there really 15 minutes left." With CS I have the opposite reaction. "Has it really been half an hour already?" What a relief! Both of us are already standing up straighter. Probably, my favorite part is the nostalgic of my beloved childhood ballet classes that the movements stir up. Anyway, in the short run, we both enjoy this exercise program with the intention to continue walking.

Dr Ginger, Medicine Woman...I don't do scales, because numbers don't really mean anything. I like the waistband method better. If my waistband stays loose, I'm good. If it gets tight, I exercise and eat more. I'm so done with reducing serving size. Since I love to eat, I refuse to go hungry. However, the thing I eat more of is salad: mega-huge, hot or cold, mostly greens, salad with no oil, fats, tahini, avocado, etc. Works like a charm and doesn't trigger anorexia/bulimia. Salad can be cold or hot.

Pen and Brush and Music and Scholarship...I'm getting back into watercoloring again. I can't believe I let it go, because I enjoy it so much. I painted a freehand of the view from our little cottage the other day. No, it's not great, but I loved doing it. Over the years, I developed a habit that hasn't served me well. During that extended time of illness and then injury, I let inaction become my default way of operating. Instead of pursuing things that bring me joy, I waste time and walk away from my path. Painting, music, studying, teaching, genealogy, and writing give me a sense of connectedness, strength and fulfillment. Yet, I've become too undisciplined, excusing my behavior with my old ills. I truly am better, now I need to put that energy and focus into the talents already flourishing in my life. To quote my son's namesake, Spencer W. Kimball, “DO IT.”