"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

True Peace on Earth

Praying For...Gayle, our birthday girl, who will be ten-years-old this week. At ten, girls turn the corner toward young womanhood. Certainly they have a way to go, but the stage is set. I pray that she will know no rebellion but will hold fast to the commandments of God and her parents teachings. People, who choose responsibility and faith over rebellion and sloth, find the path to happiness and success. Youth, who choose what looks like fun, find that sin and rebellion hold no rewards except heart ache. I pray that safety, security, peace, plenty, loyalty, liberty, love, health, happiness, faith, fellowship, sincerity, and scholarship are God's will for her. I pray that neighbor and enemy alike will soften their hearts and practice good will toward all men--especially children. I pray that more will come to know the Prince of Peace and follow His true ways--faith, repentance, and living according to His commandments...this is True Peace on Earth. Jesus said the poor will always be among us and I add that war will be as well. Peace on Earth isn't absence of war but is found in individuals following Jesus.

Jesus' Word..."Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness," Isaiah 41:10. We are commanded to fear not. We mustn't waste time worrying about inadequacies but move forward, be happy, and do good. Jesus' grace will help us effect changes in our lives from a position of lower strength to higher strength. Fear not but proceed with faith.

Bibliophilia...The other day I unpacked an old favorite, which I bought during homeschool days, Grolier's Book of Knowledge 1940 edition. Apparently, I should have sought out a pre-1940 edition, but I think it's wonderful anyway. I grabbed volume one and began reading immediately. Even if the writing wasn't stellar and the world-view decidedly Christian, the quality of the pages would cause me to re-read this set every few years. When it was revised and published, WWII was raging around the globe. The first in the Stories of all Countries is so telling of the anxieties, hopes, and tentativeness of the day. So was was the author, saying, "To be savage is to be near the starting-post of life. To be an educated and law-abiding person is to have run some part of the race through time. To be a genius or a saint is to be in some respects nearing the goal...'The world in all doth but two nations bear: The Good, the Bad; and these mixed everywhere.'" There is good in all men, which some call the Light of Christ. The true Christ teaches the way to peace as Charity or the pure love of Christ. The author of the above article eloquently says it this way. "...at the end of this life...if love is the way, love must be the end. At least we may be certain of this--that intelligence makes for love, and that in all the nations of the world the good are those who believe in love as the only way out of human difficulties. No prouder boast can be uttered by the human soul than that which claims kinship with God." Maybe I'll try to find that pre-1940 edition, simply because I enjoy the series so.

Sound of Music...I love singing hymns in the basement of my range. Once I was a soprano but no longer. Alto is much more comfortable. All it took to transpose my favorite hymns was googling transposing ukulele chords. I'm about half way done transposing the chords in my Hymns Made Easy song book. The uke is so much fun. I keep it right beside my bed for early morning devotionals.

Cucina Fresca...Also in my unpacking zeal, I discovered my potholders. On several counts, this is satisfying. First I was led to think of Evie my great-aunt with down syndrome. Evie, short for Mary Evelyn, was not your typical special needs child of the early 20th century. She was mainstreamed in school until the sixth grade, where she learned to read quite well and do math on a basic level. After she left school, she lived with her oldest sister and had the grand occupation of making potholders for family members. I have a pile of them to cherish. My next potholder memory comes from my sweet other mother (I don't like the term step even though she doesn't take the place of my mother. She's a cherished friend.) Anyway...Jo gave me several that her mother crocheted. How generous can you get? Then there's the one I quilted and some made especially for me by a client. So, I can cook safely now. I got a bamboo steamer and rice cooker that helps me make divine cabbage and carrots over brown rice--no lie.

Oh Happy Day...twice this week we attended the temple. Sealing ancestor husbands and wives for all eternity was a wonderful way to spend our 33rd anniversary last Tuesday. To us, Saturdays are special days to prepare to partake of the Sacrament which renews baptismal covenants. Our biggest spiritual preparation is attending the temple early Saturday morning as often as possible. It's a glorious way to end the week and prepare for the Sabbath.