"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

reached into my spirit

Praying For...Cole, our intelligent, handsome, ten-year-old grandson...that he will value the privilege of scholarship, safety, choice, and faith that life and liberty in the United States allow him...that his friends, neighbors, and enemies will come to know and accept the true peace offered by Jesus Christ. He is the only solution to personal and political strife in this world...that he will be safe, secure, and sound of body, mind, and spirit as he moves away from childhood and into young manhood.

Jesus Word..."Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work," Doctrine and Covenants 10:5. This prayer journal has transformed my spiritual life. Not only do I feel closer to my loved ones far away, whom I pray for every day. More importantly, I feel closer to God. He answers prayers. He waits to instruct me until I've asked for His help. I ask. He says. Oh, so you want to know about that now; do you? Here's the answer through scripture or inspiration. Line upon line...precept upon precept...here a little and there a little...

Bibliophilia...We sent Cole The Cricket in Times Square (such a delightful original story), Mindware Extreme Dot to Dots Animals (gotta love dot-to-dots). CITS is wonderful and can almost be considered a classic. It's one of those stories that comes along only rarely.

Sound of Music...When I was nine, I took up the violin and developed an immediate love of classical music. By classical music, I refer to an art form and not a musical time period. Anyway, probably my first favorite was Prokofiev's Peter & the Wolf. This week I sent a CD of this music narrated by Boris Karloff to Cole. I looked up the CD on YouTube and relived this favorite. Now that my body is stronger again and my injuries are healed, I miss my violin. When I get back home, where it waits on a shelf, I plan to pick it up again. Today in church, we sang Lead Kindly Light. It reminded me how much I love playing it, as I sort of got lost in the music and felt my self swaying as a violinist. OOPS! I almost forgot to get up to give the invocation. I also remembered my daughter singing it at her grandmother's funeral. How she CAN sing at the saddest times in her life; how does she sing through the tears?

Movement...Children these days just don't get enough exercise. This week I sent a hacky sac to Cole. Recently, I sent a kick ball to Quinn and a jump rope to Oakley. While I can't make them move, I believe providing the opportunity can be a good first step. STILL loving essentrics. Never before has movement reached into my spirit the way this one does. It reminds me so much of my dancing lessons as a child, which I loved equally as much. Although my childhood experience was fulfilling in a different way. I also enjoy walking to the market. Depending on which one I go to, my walk is an invigorating two-three miles.

Cucina Fresca...I love inventing recipes. This week was no exception. Anyone who enjoys mushrooms and kale will love this; maybe some who've never like either that much will enjoy it, too. This is very waistline friendly, being low in calories, fat, and other lb adding things.

2 portabello mushrooms, halved and sliced
1/2 onion, pureed
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 carrot, pureed
1 stalk celery, pureed
1 roma tomato, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch kale, stripped and chiffonade
kale stems, sliced
1/4 c minced fresh parsley or 1 T dried
1/2 small lemon, juice and zest
2 T mild, white, soy and gluten free miso
1/4 t dried Italian herbs
dash red pepper flakes
2-4 c water
salt
pepper

In a soup pot, bring 2 T water to a boil and add a little salt, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and tomato. Turn down heat to low, cook until reduced by half and all liquid is evaporated. Add water, kale stems, zest, dried herbs, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes. Add kale and cook for 5 more minutes. Mix miso with a little broth, then add to pot. Stir in bell pepper and lemon juice. Adjust flavors and serve. Potatoes or white beans are very good additions. To be honest, I eat the whole pot by myself. It's that good.