"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

really, finally gone

Praying For...Claire, who is growing to be a refined little lady at her ripe age of six. I pray that she and all of my grands and offspring will gain and keep strong testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ. All other hopes and desires for them pale in comparison to this one.

Jesus' Word..."...whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction," 1 Nephi 15:24. Because I need all the help I can get, this promise calms my heart. The word of God is like a beacon through this foggy, strange world in which we live and will help us find the power or grace we need to resist temptations of the evil one.

Bibliophilia...Besides the scriptures, I've been reading Amazed by Grace. It explains this principle so well and is exactly the way I've always thought of grace. I'm so excited to read a recently acquired book about some of my Native American ancestors from my mother's line, Guardians of the Valley: Chickasaws in Colonial South Carolina and Georgia. So far my genealogy traces my mother's side through the Chickasaws and my father's side through the Powhatan found around Jamestown. Apparently, I can find out more about the Powhatan in the Shawnee Heritage book series by Don Greene. Read a cute book, which I also sent to Claire, Twig. We also sent Dover Owls coloring book.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...while taking my grands to plenty of crowded places over spring break, I contracted conjunctivitis. Yuck! Sure it will go away by itself after seven to ten days. However, I didn't want to have burning, red, goopy eyes for seven to ten days. Of course I was out of my favorite Dr. Christopher Eyebright Formula, containing eyebright herb, goldenseal root, red raspberry leaf, mullein flower, bayberry bark, fennel seed, rue flower and cayenne pepper. As any good herbalist would do, I researched some other possibilities. I made a thick infusion of fennel and flax seeds for an eye wash. Immediately, the burning was gone. After only a couple more applications the infection was gone. This is a good one to know about.

Lastest Amazing Feat...I drove 1400-ish miles in 2.5 days without incident or injury. After a bath and two hour nap, I felt perfectly fine. Is my illness really, finally gone!!!

Movement...with near zero internet access for over a week, I was getting a bit frantic about my lack of exercise. This morning before church, I spent a glorious 45 minutes stretching and sweating. It was lovely. I still can't believe this seeker of shade and rest LOVES to exercise now.

Cucina Fresca...Ingredient specific recipes can be intimidating and expensive. On the other hand, master recipes allow one to use what is on hand or in season. Plus, the cook can experiment with confidence. If you've read my posts at all, you know I've been cooking oil-free, nutrient-dense, high-fiber vegan for years now. Master Stir Fry (Steam) Recipe is no exception. Since I developed an allergy to soy and try to limit salt, I also had to experiment quite a bit to find a flavorful stir fry. This one seems to fit the bill. Because it makes such a nice flavor, I start out with a similar veg base mix to my marinara and master soup recipes.

In a large frying pan or wok, layer 1/4 red onion, sliced carrot and celery stock, 1/2 diced roma tomato, 1-2 sliced portabello (or a handful or two other) mushrooms, half a garlic clove, a bit of minced ginger, per person. Cook over high heat. As soon as it starts to sizzle, add a tablespoon or so of water, cover, and turn the heat down. Soon the mushrooms and onions will release their fluids. Remove the lid and continue to cook. This mixture is ready when everything starts to break down and brown. This makes a healthier substitute for the umami or savory salty/soy flavor everyone loves in Asian foods. Now, add a tablespoon or two more water to deglaze the pan. It is time to add two or three handfuls of body veggies, of which the possibilities are endless. Steam, covered until just tender crisp. Now, you might add the juice of lemon, lime, and/or orange or rice vinegar, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes for a more Chinese flavor. Red or Green curry paste, honey, or chopped peanuts lend a Thai influence. Steamed, pureed cauliflower with S&B oriental curry powder turn it into Japanese curry. Garam Masala and Madras curry powder OR curry leaves and sambar powder take you to India.

Body Veg/Fruit Suggestions:
snow peas
broccoli slaw mix
broccoli flowerets
rabe
red, green, yellow, or orange bell peppers
cilantro
thai basil
green onions
spinach
chard
collards
head or napa cabbage
bok choy or other Asian cabbages
japanese eggplant
hot peppers
baby corn
Morninga leaves or pods
summer squash
Steamed, diced pumpkin or sweet potato
julienne carrots, jicama, or turnip
plums
mango
grapes
pineapple
apricots
peaches
bean sprouts

This is filling enough to eat as a weight stabilizing meal on its own and is my go to if I find any pounds creeping on. It is delicious over brown, black, or red rice or Annie Chun's Brown Rice Pad Thai noodles. The latter is excellent to keep the heat out of the kitchen in the summer, because they only require a ten minute soak in hot water instead of boiling. If you want even more flavor, top with tabasco, sambal oelek, sriracha, or other spicy condiments OR a sprinkle of salt and black pepper.

Enjoy this creative master recipe and incorporating more nutrient-rich foods into your healthy, cruelty-free way of life.