"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

confidence and competence

Praying For...Gayle that she will have a safe, innocent, and delightful childhood...that she will know and follow Jesus Christ...that her neighbors, in the Biblical sense, will love her and inspire goodness...that leaders of nations will soften their hearts toward the God-given rights and liberties of their citizens, the sanctity of the family, and the fragile beauty of childhood...

Teaching Little Children...I absolutely adore little children. Right now I volunteer at a local Montessori preschool. This age child is so charming especially in an environment that builds confidence and competence. One little girl is barely higher than my knee, but she speaks intelligently and clearly about interesting things. She's a tiny but encouraged person instead of a helpless little child. Anyway, I work in the sound area, listening to children practice letter sounds or read little books if they already read. When Sammy and Quinn visit, I won't work at the school though.

Cucina Fresca...We've been eating a lot of light meals, since the heat sort of saps the appetite. Veggie sushi is easy on the tummy and delightful on the taste buds. I came up with a new name for my oil-free, plant-based pesto. It is now known as World Peace Pesto...get it? Whirled Peas--World Peace!!

World Peace Pesto

1 1/2 c tightly packed fresh basil leaves (can use part curry leaves, spinach, morninga, and/or parsley)
1 1/2 c frozen peas, thawed
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 T chickpea miso (or other white pesto if you aren't sensitive to soy)
1 T nutritional yeast
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 t Mrs. Dash Table Blend
celtic sea salt or not
dash cayenne

Add all ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Stir into half a pound of hot, cooked brown rice pasta. Garnish with minced red bell pepper, additional basil leaves, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Correction: This revised version tastes amazingly like traditional pesto, but without the heavy, oily aftertaste. Plus, peas and greens (basil is a green) are good sources of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Pen and Brush...I've got an idea for a sort of life map drawing/painting that I want to work on. Usually, I draw or paint in a journal. Afterwards, I shut the cover, never looking at it again. My life map might just stay in my journal too, but it's a piece that will take more time. The problem is that I don't have enough skill yet to make my pictures look, as I see them in my head.

Canine Capers...I'm thrilled with our tiny Yorkie, Dash. At first she was so upset to leave her little doggie family, she ate and drank very little. She was also quite timid. She was 4.5 lbs on the 9th. Thursday, the 26th, found her 4.1 lbs. Kinda scary but something clicked to make her start eating yesterday. After nearly three weeks, she eats and thinks we are pretty wonderful. It is fun to watch her play and run. Plus, she's a great little snuggler.