"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

great pay check

Praying For...Oakley...that she will come to know the joy, peace, hope, and help found in scripture studies and prayer.

Bibliophilia...reading all the Open Court readers I acquired this week. Why don't elementary school books contain classic literature anymore? Also sent The Princess and The Goblin by George MacDonald to Sammy and a very cute book, A Mouse Called Wolf to both Sammy and Oakley.

Cucina Fresca...so glad to get back to my own kitchen, where I can cook real food. Lately, I tried Chef AJ and Dr. Klaper's 'only eat when hungry' idea. I guess my 'hypoglycemia' was more an emotional dependency than a true medical condition. After listening to my body, I've discovered I'm not truly ready to eat each day until about 12:30. Instead of immediately thinking my discomfort is hunger, I drink 16 oz water. Then I ask myself if I'm really hungry or is some sort of emotion driving this need to eat. If I find it is actual hunger, I eat beans, oats, fruit, salad, or pizza crackers. At first I lost seven unwanted pounds that crept on during my mission; now it's leveled off. AND I feel pretty great unless I don't get enough sleep.



Pizza Crackers

2-4 Lundberg Organic Thin Stackers Puffed Grain or Rice Cakes
1-2 T tomato paste
dried Italian herbs
cayenne pepper
garlic powder

Spread tomato paste on all thin stackers. Sprinkle with herbs, cayenne, and garlic. Enjoy with a tall glass of water.

Teaching Little Children...I can't get enough of those sweet little people. In June I began teaching one tiny, 3-year-old girl letter sounds with sandpaper letters. Friday, I gave her the first reading lesson with three-letter, short-vowel words (If I hadn't taken July and last week off, she would have reached this place a month ago). A 4-year-old little boy who only knew 6 sounds in August, is now reading and spelling three letter words with ease. Another darling 3.5 year old boy who learned his first sound in August begs me daily for sound lessons and is on the brink of being ready for his first reading lesson. However, I do believe my greatest satisfaction comes from a kindergarten age boy, who just started school with us in August. He has worked and worked to learn his sounds. Friday, I gave him his first reading lesson. He gave me a great pay check, when he said. 'Reading is fun. I love school.' Until Friday, he always squirmed as if he felt awkward and out of place. As tall as he is for five, it's understandable that he was uncomfortable. As we worked together, I saw him relax for the first time. His math is going crazy, too. Although I love Montessori in every area, I think math most profoundly influences these children (oh, but home arts, botany, biology, and geography are so beautiful, too). Four digit addition and subtraction is way above state standards for kindergarten. Yet, I see children as young as 4 doing just that. Friday, two five-year-old girls learned to skip count by eights. In another week or so, they will be shown how to square and cube eights. Then they will have in their store of knowledge the square root, square cube, and times table of eight--at five! Yet, they see the lessons and materials as the most engaging toys and play of their lives. Montessori math is why my oldest finished algebra and geometry in one year as well as breezing through college calculus at 16; pretty much it was all in her head before age 6.

Puppy Prattle...We cute Dash's long hair off, or the groomer did. Although pure bred Yorkie, she has the cottony type coat instead of the silky type. Gucci was the same. It is sooooo hard to groom. After she reached back and bit the brush, I knew her pretty long hair was not worth the price. Both of us are much happier with two minute grooming sessions instead of fifteen minutes of her crying and me feeling guilty. We love our pre-dawn two mile walks. When we don't get to it, she is less content during the day.