"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, October 12, 2015

treasure

Praying For...Cole...that God will inspire him to be quick to listen, slow to react, and never speak unkindly especially to loved ones...that he will develop a deep faith and love of learning...that he is happy, healthy, safe, and secure...that he will be motivated to be an obedient son, a loyal brother, and a trustworthy friend...that you will choose to embrace all that is good in the scouting program and stay close to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Ponderization..."Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man," Doctrine and Covenants 84:85.

Bibliophilia...I found a wonderful book to send to Gayle (age10), Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's a very well written piece of historical fiction about based on a three-month yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia that decimated 10% of that city's population and how a 14-year-old handled the situation. Probably, I enjoyed how this selfish, rude, entitled girl rose to competent, confident young adult to survive. There are too many examples of bratty teens that want stay bratty in J and YA 'literature.' I think I'll share this with my mom. I sent Cole a set of John Bytheway CDs as he is the perfect age for JB's humor and spiritual lessons.

Dr Ginger, Medicine Woman...Turmeric and Cherry Juice Concentrate really do work better than tylenol or advil. Since neither of the latter ever give me any relief from pain or inflammation and the former slowly knock it out, I choose them. They even help with the thoracic and abdominal swelling I get from mistakenly (or stupidly) eating soy or wheat. Yes, yes, cherry juice is high in sugar. However, I'll take the extra calories over the severe or life-threatening digestive, kidney, or liver side effects of drugs. Drugs like the afore mentioned ones increase intestinal permeability and were in part the catalyst for my autoimmune issues in the first place.

Teaching Little Children...I had lots of successes this week. After I taught him some brain gym exercises, one bright boy with midline issues is doing much better with writing letters and numbers--he's also reading quite well with Bob Books. Over the last two weeks, I've introduced at least ten kindergarteners to reading with Bob Books and Montessori materials. After they read a book to me, I have them pick a page to copy from the book. Most of them have gone from chicken scratch to well-formed, kindergarten-correct letters. I began the first spelling/reading lessons with three very bright four year olds. I feel so blessed every time I sit with a child and watch the miracle of the written language come alive for them. I feel more a facilitator who unlocks a door rather than a teacher who dispenses information. The child does the actual work. I am still concerned with 7 or 8 children that cannot seem to retain letter sounds from one day to another and another two that are having trouble blending sounds after they sound out. One very intelligent girl might be autistic or have some other sensory issue, as she cannot speak more intelligently than a two year old. Each day I read her a story and try to draw conversation out of her. Afterwards, I present new sounds to her, which she is learning rapidly. She doesn't interact with the other children at all and seems to be in some sort of dream world all the time. Another sweet girl became a big sister a few months back and is adjusting by acting out. I just keep hugging her but also tell her the rules are the same for everyone. She tests. I smile and with gentle firmness remind her. Sometimes I have to send her away from my area until she can follow the rules. There are three kindergarten girls who read very well but have huge holes in their decoding abilities. I would like to sit down with them for intensive phonics daily but am not sure that will happen in that environment.