"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

great week

Praying For...Quinn and children all over the world to be blessed with peace, plenty, happiness, health, and love...that he will learn to be honest, slow to anger, quick to listen, and love the truth...that he will enjoy school and work diligently to do his very best work...that he will love Jesus and always strive to be like Him...that he will enjoy life and try to find joy in all the experiences that come his way...that he will come to enjoy doing hard things, because learning from hard things make one wise and smart...that all God's children will recognize Him and strive to follow Him.

Ponderizations..."And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus," Philippians 4:7. Peace is a joyful thing.

GC Sermon of the Week...A Plea to My Sisters By Russell Nelson spoke deeply to my soul.  It is ok with God just as it is with my husband that I am a strong woman with an opinion who loves to serve others. I never did fit the doormat role. It is good that I am happy, that I am anxiously engaged in a good cause, that I spend a good portion of time researching my ancestors, that I love my family, my husband, and God.

Genealogy Gifts...over the last few years but especially this year, there has been a huge effort by millions of volunteers to digitize and make accessible vital and other valuable records of the past. Because of this, I have found hundreds of people that fit into my ancestral lines, mostly spouse (maiden names) and children. A relative of mine, notorious for contention, questioned my actions and called them foolish; he stated that there are some verses in the Bible that say we shouldn't worry about genealogy. Timothy 1:4 and Titus 3:9 both speak of this, but not in the way said relative imagines. Paul warns Titus of foolish genealogies, which signifies those that puff one up or take one away from worshipping God. Paul warns Timothy not to give heed to genealogies which don't edify God. My whole reason for keeping these records is to edify God and tie these loved ones to our family. All through out the Old and New Testaments, genealogies are recited to teach principles and confirm prophecy. With these ideas in mind, I know God wants me to spend part of my time engaged in this work. All of His children are important to Him; all of my family is important to me--not because being a decedent of royalty or rapscallion brings me any notoriety or puffs me up. Keeping genealogies out of love is not foolishness.

Teaching Little Children...I've been praying about a little problem with the hodgepodge reading instruction materials at my school. They does a fantastic job of teaching phonics for short vowels and some consonant blends, but it leaves too much undone; they are so disorderly. The other day, while searching for metal inset extension ideas, I came across a self-correcting, Montessori-inspired, complete phonics program and rainbow letters I'm so jazzed to get it up and running. My readers at the second grade level just can't continue to progress until they know all the vowel spellings and consonant blends. All of them need more cursive and manuscript practice. My goal for them by the time they get to first grade is excellence in spelling, penmanship, and reading. I could write volumes about teaching language in a Montessori environment. I think my favorite part of this volunteer experience is helping children become independent readers, as I have with dozens of others. It always amazes me to witness this miracle.

Garden Gate...We got a Lemon Meringue mango which is supposed to taste slightly lemony. We also got two elderberry bushes, so I can make my own elderberry syrup eventually. Finally, we got a tree called loquat, which is supposed to be sort of like an orange flavored peach. Next, we hope to acquire star fruit, more berries, more comfrey, more tree collards, more garlic, marigolds, and lupine, runner beans--permaculture by design.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman..."Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food...Walking is man's best medicine...Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease...Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity...A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses...Everything in excess is opposed to nature...," Hippocrates. His ideas have taken on great meaning in my life.

I read a testimonial of plant based healing this week. I could relate to one of her statements. “Just to live without nausea from day to day is such an incredible blessing.” I only get sick now if I eat one of my triggers. People say my WOE is such a sacrifice. While I do miss bread, pizza, tamales, flour tortillas, and pastries from time to time, I don’t miss super nausea, vomiting, or wishing I could vomit after eating. I feel so free and happy and vibrant, which isn’t a sacrifice at all. Plus, I love inventing new recipes using legumes, whole grains, veggies, greens, and fruits. My food is still delicious without the health debilitating side effects.

Cucina Fresca...lentils are extremely high in iron, a nutrient I have struggled to get enough of since age 12 whether eating meat or not. I have oodles of recipes to make them delicious. This week I decided to try cooking them in the rice cooker and came up with this recipe; it reminds me of rice a roni which I used to eat at least weekly. Next I'm going to change up the spices to make this into tacos or enchiladas. My husband finally told me he hates quinoa, so I've been looking for an alternative for enchiladas and tacos.

Lentil and Brown Rice Pilaf

1/2 c brown rice
1/2 c red rice (or more brown rice)
1/2 c brown lentils
1 portabello mushroom, small dice
1 tomato, diced
1 carrot, small dice
1 green onion, minced
1 stalk celery with tops, minced
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/4 t cumin
1/4 t italian herb
1/2 t salt
bay leaf
1-2 c minced spinach or moringa leaves (reserved)

In the morning, put rices and lentils in the rice cooker pot with the proper amount of water for 1 1/2 c brown rice. Stir in all other ingredients except reserved. Set the timer to be ready for dinner on brown rice setting. Now dinner or lunch will be an after thought. When it is done, put the reserved spinach in the rice cooker to steam and close the lid while you prepare a salad and/or non-starchy vegetable. Open rice cooker, remove bay leaf, dump into a serving dish, fluff, and garnish with coarse salt and black pepper. This makes large portions for two or side dish for four. It is easily doubled multiplied.