"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

sigh to excitement



Here are Dr. McDougal's teachings in a nut shell, which even a child can understand.

I had a heart breaking experience a week or so ago. My sweet great aunt invited me over for lunch. We've been out to dinner and lunch a few times over the last year or so. She is always so upset when I order a baked potato and broccoli or a salad. She tries to push all sorts of unhealthy foods on me, some of which I'm allergic. So...she invited me and my mother over for a luncheon of vegetable soup made especially so I could eat it and to meet her visiting cousin. My mother explained my dietary issues (no wheat, soy, dairy, oil, eggs, or animal products of any kind), so I didn't think to worry about it. Luckily, I felt impressed to eat before I went. The cousin, who is quite nice but also quite obese, prepared the food without heeding my mother at all. The onions in the soup were sautéed in butter before being cooked in beef broth with meat balls. She also prepared deviled eggs, celery with peanut butter, cornbread with butter, a huge dish of nuts, cheese and crackers, pumpkin dump cake made with four eggs and half a pound of butter, and raw carrots with ranch dip. I ate carrots sans dip.

Even though the visiting cousin prepared all the food, poor Aunty was beside herself. I told her how happy I was to be there to visit, and I always eat something ahead of time just in case. I asked her not to worry, but she couldn't rest. Finally, I told her in great detail what happens to me if I eat offending foods--including swelling of everything under my rib cage, abdomen, face, and throat leading to pain, vomiting, and SOB followed by digestive issues, acne, and joint pain as allergens travel through my body. I told her I remember eating and enjoying many things on her table, but now must I view them as non-foods. I simply cannot eat things to spare a person's feelings; they are poison to me. She settled down a bit, but I fear she has been offended beyond forgiveness. One would think a diabetic would understand dietary restrictions, but it hasn't been the reality in this case. Come to think of it, meals like the one she served are probably the reason for her diabetes and other health issues.

I'll stick with potatoes, rice, beans, fruits, greens, and vegetables, which make me feel great and keep my weight in check.