"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

slow, savor, simple



I'm really strange in that I read blogs written by people I've never met and probably never will meet. Oddly some of them have become friends. Odd, yes, but that's me. Today, I read this article about chewing.  I have this problem, too, because I had about a million little children 20 years ago. If I didn't get my food down Pip quick, I'd have to eat it cold. Probably, the reason I have trouble going totally raw is this need for hot food, but I digress.

Not chewing my food well is only a symptom in my too busy life. I hurry through this and rush through that. I've decided that I want something more. I want joy! I'm working on slowing down to halftime in everything in my life. Since I'm nearing 50, my life is now 2/3 over,  and I see the wisdom in slow and simple; I want to savor my food and my life.

My plan for slowing down at mealtime involves so much more than chewing. It involves setting a temple-like, lovely table with flowers, china, and linen even for just a green smoothie. It involves putting on Vivaldi, Bach, or Mozart for mood music. It involves looking at and conversing with my loved ones to really connect. It involves really tasting and experiencing each bite of food. No more snarfing! I've preached all these things for years and at times have done them. But then I (we) get caught up in the 'hurry up' again.

My plan for savoring my life includes purposefully noticing God's hand and blessings in my life at half speed. It includes becoming more nurturing, creative, calm, and spontaneous in all areas. These ideas are just an extension of my Project Joy, which is having a profound effect on my outlook.