"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, December 9, 2011

10 minute bites



What is important in life? Getting a little sidetracked is part of the human condition. So is anxiety over Satan's lie that there isn't enough time to take care of the things that are important. Examining how precious time is spent, idleness or time wasters can be identified, an eternal perspective helps to prioritize choices to reflect goals. Without this introspection, basking in procrastination and drifting from one time-wasting activity to another become more than doable. "...Seek not the things of this world but seek ye first to build up the kingdom of God, and to establish his righteousness”

So what is important? What activities will build up the kingdom of God? What will bring eternal happiness? What is God's will?

“We must be sure that being busy also equates to being productive.” This idea can be mind boggling and earth shattering. Are daily activities only putting on the appearance of productivity? Which things need to go to allow the realization of righteous goals? What are righteous goals? What is “busy”; what is “productive”? Asking these questions initiates productivity and paints a clear picture of  ways to idling away time – that’s a place to start.

“Let us be as quick to kneel, as we are to text.” Starting the day with devotions to God is not only a great habit but crucial to living in a busy confusing world. Allowing God to direct things, peace and joy abound, paths are clearly marked, and distractions are minimized.

Procrastination takes more energy than getting a job done. Many times I've talked myself out of doing the productive thing, agonized over it for hours or days, and finally doing it just to calm my self-recriminating self-talk. Interestingly, I find the task much smaller than my mind made it out to be. For instance, I've wanted to commit to a scheduled program for completing the Great Books for years. I begin and sputter out, because "it's just so hard." This week I finished the entire list in a couple hours, which is much less time than the agony and worry it used to cause. This leads me to believe if I choose my goals with God's guidance, I can accomplish a lot towards them in little 10 minute bites that used to go to checking Facebook or my email a dozen times a day. There is time for all my righteous goals and a little wholesome recreation to boot.