"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

best made plans laid to rest and revived


Last year I excitedly began a scheduled program to re-read the Gateway to the Great Books and the Great Books with this schedule and bombed. As Micheal Finnagan, I will begin again. If I can discipline myself, I hope to catch up withing the year. However, with my writing and mentoring schedule, I may have to be content with simply keeping on schedule. Although the schedule belongs to Dr. J. a Professor at Faulkner University, I intend to post it here on Mondays with my thoughts from the last week's readings. Why, when he has done such a wonderful job on his blogs? Well, I'm obviously a year behind. Plus, I want to be part of the Great Conversation even though at this point in history very few are speaking.
  1. The Great Conversation by Robert Hutchins
  2. Gateway to the Great Books Volume 1, “Letter to the Reader” (pp. 1-15) and the “Introduction” (pp. 15-108)
  3. The Moral Obligation to Be Intelligent” by John Erskine (Vol. 10, pp. 5-13)
  4. How Should One Read a Book?” by Virginia Woolf (Vol. 5, pp. 5-14)
  5. Of the Study of History” by David Hume (Vol. 7, pp. 89-92)
  6. The Two Drovers” by Sir Walter Scott (Vol. 2, pp. 182-205)
  7. The Three Hermits” by Leo Tolstoy (Vol. 3, pp. 700-706)
  8. Mathematics, the Mirror of Civilization” by Lancelot Hogben (Vol. 9, pp. 3-23; originally Chapter 1 of Mathematics for the Million)
Won't you join me?