"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

discoveries along the learning trail

Praying For...Cole and his family...orphans and neglected children everywhere...peace on earth and good will among mankind...

The Herbalist...planning to visit the herb garden at Bastyr University this week.

Sound of Music...is the sound of silence, since there was not room to bring my old friend this time. Sniff...

Scripture Meditations..."I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?" Alma 5:19 This is my hope and my dream.

Bibliophelia...loaned How to Reverse and Prevent Heart Disease by Esselstyn to a lady at the office with severe heart disease. Dr. Esselstyn has had 100% success with compliant patients. Several people in his study got in, because they were too ill for surgery; they were nearly dead like my friend. Yet they are still alive and thriving 25 years later with DE's program. The images of their healed arteries is most inspiring.

Lifelong Learning... MicroEconomics (and Macroeconomics) by Gwartney,  The Philosopher’s Way by John Chaffe, and Roar on the Wild Side by Susan Rhodes are three books I'll be re-reading in depth with my senior scholars in the fall. Even though the first two are text books, they are thought-provoking, valid resources. It is difficult to study philosophy with today's secular texts that attack Christianity, but TPW doesn't seem to do this much. And the young people have been grounded in extensive religious and historical studies for several years. It is time to explore atheistic propoganda in a safe manner, so they can converse intelligently on the topic. Last fall I tried to get all the scholars reading the same books at the same time. It didn't work at all. Some are gung ho about their studies, while a few others are still digging in their heals. Then I have a whole new batch beginning in the fall. So...I have several scholars all studying different things again. Of course I won't be able to read everything everyone is studying, but I'll dip in here and there to answer questions; more likely direct them where to find their own answers. There is no better way to learn than to teach. Distance mentoring is not exactly teaching; it is more like guiding. However some of the elements are the same. I love to read the things they write about their discoveries along this learning trail. Responding thoughtfully is my learning experience in all this. My Spanish studies are moving forward by leaps and bounds. But...I still get tongue tied, when I try to speak to other Spanish speakers. I got a compliment the other day, when I was told my accent was nearly perfect and I didn't sound like a gringo. Likely, the fact that I grew up hearing Spanish spoken by native speakers is the reason. Many place names in Phoenix are Spanish as well. Anyway, when everything clicks, I will be understood....hopefully. Beginning Mandarin again, too.

Cuchina Fresca...looking forward to Pike's Place Market and real local Washington berries. It was thirty years ago that I first worked berry season at the market. Coming from Redneckville, I had a real bout of culture shock. Even so, working at the market was a strange but wonderful experience. Plus, I know what a real strawberry should taste like. They don't require sugar or fat to enhance their flavor. A simple bowl of real, local, northwest, sliced strawberries is sublime.