"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Save My Health-Save The World



Every time I get a new book, I zoom through it and miss lots of good stuff. I just can't help myself; I love the feel of new paper in my hands. The same thing happened with The Starch Solution. Now, I'm on my third time through and am still loving it. Yes, Dr. McDougall preaches to the veggie choir with me, but that is OK.

While I love all the info, the part that really gets me is the environmental impact of this lifestyle choice. As a SAHM, I raised a litter of children. I'm not at all thrilled about the idea of population control on many levels. I think it is wonderful to participate in raising a new generation of people, who want to change the world for the better. And they are doing just that.

Dr. McD said, "If those enjoying excess were to make the change to a starch-based diet, this would free up sufficient rice, corn, wheat, and potatoes (now going to animal feed) to allow the entire world population adequate or even bountiful food supplies. In fact, reallocating land from animal to crop production would increase our food resources at least seventeen fold: Crops like potatoes can produce 17 times the calories as animals on the same piece of land." He goes on to speak of more saved resources and positive benefits of eating potatoes and rice with some greens and fruit. We don't have to adopt the militant birth control of the Chinese, nor depend on quantity over quality, chemical-laden, franken-foods of agricultural big business.

Besides feeling great eating starches, I like knowing my choices protest world hunger and positively impact environmental pollution. This has to be one of the most cost effective and healthy food lifestyles on the planet.