"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

an instruction manual does exist


Some are confused concerning the hows for raising families in opposition to trends and forces that seek to destroy or divert the family's embracing of God's plan of happiness. I know I was. I've heard many say there is no instruction manual for raising children and a happy family. But...there is...

"And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived; for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth adeceiving the nations—" Doctrine and Covenants 52:14

Jesus loves little children (and us big children too) with charity. If we are on earth to learn to be like jesus to adopt His character, treating children with His pur and perfect love is part of the pattern or guide book. "And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been bborn of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts? I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?" Alma 5:14 and 19 "And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love; wherefore, all children are alike unto me; wherefore, I love little children with a perfect love; and they are all alike and partakers of salvation." Moroni 8:17

We are to teach them God's doctrines and law that they might be truly happy. "And again, inasmuch as parents have children in Zion, or in any of her bstakes which are organized, that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the heads of the parents. And they shall also teach their children to pray, and to walk uprightly before the Lord." Doctrine and Covenants 68:25 and 28.

 Formal lessons during devotionals and Family Home Evening are good, but teaching children to understand through the experience of the moment, unplanned and spontaneous, can have great impact, too. To do this parents must continually feast upon the words of Christ and live so as to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost to be prepared for such moments. Through this practice we also leave ourselves open to be taught better ways of being, which also make the home more inviting and relationships more meaningful.