"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, February 11, 2013

reflections

Praying For...Tyson, my 5-year-old, firecracker grandson...peace if not between nations then in the hearts of men...the softening of the hearts of leaders of nations...

Meditations of Jesus..."Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might aknow concerning the truth of these things. Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" Doctrine and Covenants 6:22-23 Sometimes in the midst of trial, it is hard to remember answers to prayer and personal revelation. But God is ever good and helpful. I read again this verse last week, when preparing for Sunday School. My mind was flooded with previous answers to prayers and my path seemed perfectly illuminated. 

Bibliophilia...Sent Tyson a copy of How Do You Lift A Lion, which I hope he will enjoy as much as he did How To Dig A Hole To The Other Side Of The World. Saturday, I spent a delightful afternoon browsing Barnes and Nobel and saw one or two possibilities that I'm considering. Sadly, I hear they are downsizing the retail end of their business. 

Dr. Ginger Medicine Woman...OK, I don't really fit into the herb healer world. I am no hippy, but that's OK. I can learn all sorts of interesting things from people of different belief systems. Right now I'm taking a very interesting herb mentor class on herbal first aid from a man named Seven Song. I've learned quite a bit. Thankfully, he seems to keep the learning focused mainly on herbs.

Cucina Fresca...Carmel Apple Cake

1 lb. mejool dates, pitted and flattened
2-3 large gala or fuji apples, thinly and horizontally sliced
juice and zest on one large orange
½ t. cinnamon

Juice orange and mix in zest. Dip each apple slice in orange juice and sprinkle with cinnamon. Press a layer of dates on the bottom of a 7-inch spring form pan. Add a layer of apples. Continue layering, ending with dates. Place a piece of parchment on top along with a plastic bag of rice or beans for weight. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Un-form and decorate with colorful dried fruits or fresh raspberries.

Duds...got two super-cute, cotton, summer skirts I found severely marked down at Down East. Because I'm short they will work wonderfully for me but would be too short for a tall girl. Strangely, one was marked slate black but is dark brown. There is no way that brown is any sort of black. No problem...I'll have fun wearing them in warmer weather with sandals this summer.

Brush and Pen...I had such fun last week painting conversation hearts. This week I'll paint something boyish for Tyson's card. Hopefully, I'll find more time for this favorite activity.

Garden Gate...Well...sad to say my micro-greens experiment has been a horrible moldy failure here in the NW. Thankfully, though, I can grow all manner of sprouts on the window sill.

Biophilia...even from in a third floor walk-up micro-condo, I can enjoy the beauties of nature. I have a tiny south facing window in my kitchen. The other day I spied a little hummingbird flitting about the parking lot. Much to my delight, it landed on a branch of a tree directly across from this window, where I spent a happy few minutes watching until he flew away. Perhaps, I'll attempt to capture his cute little self for my watercolor journal.