"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

free to be happy

Praying For...Gayle our 8-year-old, tiny dancer...that she will learn to know and love Jesus and be happy, healthy, and safe...also, pray for little girls all over the earth that they will be likewise blessed. It's a crime that so many little girls are robbed of innocence and health.

Meditations on Jesus Word...“For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.” 1 Corinthians 15:21-22 Jesus is the way...

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...While I am neither a doctor nor medicine woman, I study lots and lots of research on health, nutrition, herbs, and alternative healing. Lately, I've read a great deal about saffron and its protection against depression; it's equally effective as Prozac. In light of the increase in violence from people that use prozac and other such drugs, this research is revolutionary. Additionally, saffron halts the progression of dementia. Isn't it wonderful that God's simple plant foods can free so many from the prison of the mind. Now I feel justified in making my curry blend with saffron instead of comet, (cough) I mean turmeric. Curry anyone!!!

Cucina Fresca...still enjoying a mainly raw, low-fat vegan lifestyle, however I like to add one cooked meal per day. I'm freer in my food choices after many weeks on the incurables. This week our yummiest meal was pinto beans and brown rice topped with lettuce, water chestnuts, jalapenos, tomatoes, purple cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and red bell peppers pared with warm corn tortillas. Even though I store some canned beans, home cooked beans are far superior. They are so easy to prepare.

The Perfect Pot of Beans
1. Measure 1-4 cups dried beans into a bowl. 1 c. dry yields approximately 3 c. cooked.
2. Sort for debris and rinse.
3. Cover with water and lid.
4. Soak for 24-48 hours or longer to slightly sprout. Change soaking water after 24 hours. Soak in fridge in hot or humid weather. Longer soaking=shorter cooking.
5. Drain and rinse beans. (Possibly, use water to water plants.)
6. Put in slow cooker over low heat for 6-8 hours (More nutrients remain when cooked below 120F.)
7. Do not add salt or acidic ingredients until beans are soft unless you like tough beans. Old beans may never soften and might be best ground into flour or composted.
8. Season with all sorts of aromatic vegetables, powdered dehydrated veggies, spices, and herbs.
9. These freeze nicely and keep in the fridge for about a week. So make a big pot once a week to freeze or use in various dishes.

Bibliophilia...Discovered another Betty MacDonald book, Nancy and Plum, which I think is delightful. I'll be sending a copy to Gayle this week. At 8 she is just about the right age. Since Betty lived on Vashon Island while writing most of her books, I plan to visit her house soon. It's a bed and breakfast, but maybe they will let me see it without staying overnight.

Garden Gate...or in this case I should say orchard. We arrived at our desert home and were greeted by these in our backyard. My juice focus for the next few days is citrus, orange, grapefruit, and tangerine. Delicious. We also lost several trees and bushes due to the unusual, hard, prolonged cold weather this winter.







Duds...bought some new denim skirts from Chadwick's and a cotton from Down East. While I am glad I've regained my health and put some weight back on my skin and bones frame, I cannot wear three skirts in my limited travel wardrobe. Even though I like new clothes, I would have been content with saving the money. The other skirts were nearly brand new.








Pen and Brush...Ever since I read/saw the Diary of an Edwardian Lady, I've desired to turn my journals into a work of art instead of just a chronicle of my life. Even though I can't say my watercoloring is beautiful like Edith Holdon's, it is finally starting to take on that description. I've settled on moleskin watercolor notebooks; I use the large which is anything but large. To allow me more control with this unpredictable medium, I use the tiny Windsor and Newton Pocket Set with a couple their short handled round brushes 01 and 02. For travel these fit so nicely in the pencil/pen case I've had for years, allowing me to travel with the supplies to mix my media.