"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

have I done any good

Although we eat little honey or few sweets, I enjoy the hobby of bee keeping. Because I have a daughter allergic to yellow jackets, we used to have a fear of all flying creatures. Bee keeping changed all that. Observing these tiny miracles at work, I found myself full of wonder at the process of turning the nectar of flowers into drops of liquid sunshine that contains all of the nutrients to sustain human life.

Like all creatures, honey bees are commanded to attend to a particular job. As a daughter of God, my job is to be anxiously engaged in a good and righteous cause, to love God, and love my neighbor, while keeping myself unspotted from the world, Doctrine and Covenants 58:27; Matthew 22:37, 39-40; James 1:27. Certainly, big acts of service are a good thing, but what about the little things: a kind word, a listening ear, a caring smile, a cheerful countenance, or a lip bitten to keep back the thoughtless word.

These are some of the qualities that Jesus had and wants us to emulate as well as charity (aka pur love of Christ), Doctrine and Covenants 121:41, 42, 45; a desire to do good, Mosiah 5:2; and the Holy Ghost as a constant companion distilling doctrine into our souls, Doctrine and Covenants 121:45-46.

Russel M. Ballard suggests the way to make this change and ingrain Christ's love on our hearts. "In your morning prayer each new day, ask Heavenly Father to guide you to recognize an opportunity to serve one of His precious children. Then go throughout the day with your heart full of faith and love, looking for someone to help. Stay focused, just like the honeybees focus on the flowers from which to gather nectar and pollen. If you do this, your spiritual sensitivities will be enlarged and you will discover opportunities to serve that you never before realized were possible."