"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

diligence vs procrastination

Praying For...Miss Oakley a very girly little girl, who I totally adore. I pray she be surrounded by loving safe people. Likewise for other children of the world, safety, love, and someone to adore them. Like Mr. Rogers loved me just the way my little self was. We need more of that.

Meditations on Jesus' Word..."Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until aseventy times seven."Matthew 18:21-22 Jesus teaches us a little piece of His character. He doesn't ask more from us than he is willing to give and understands we are all a work in progress.

Bibliophilia...sent Oakley a copy of Flicka, Ricka, Dicka, and the New Dotted Dresses. FR&D are such sweet little girls. If they hadn't been written before I was born, I'd swear our six-year-old darling was the model for the illustrations.

Cucina Fresca...I always loved the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage that accompany a corned beef dinner but never enjoyed the fatty, though meat. I decided to try making a boiled dinner with the right spices and organic veg sans greasy corned beef. It tastes just like I remember that American Irish favorite and is another pantry/storage meal.

Island Boiled Dinner for 2 or 3

1 red onion, sliced
1 lb. red and yellow potatoes, chut in 1 inch chunks
1 lb. baby carrots or 1 inch carrot chunks
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 large head green cabbage, cut in wedges
1 T. pickling spice blend

Place veg in slow cooker except cabbage.  Stir in pickling spice and 1 c. water. Cook on low for 4-8 hours until desired tenderness is achieved. Add cabbage and continue cooking for 15-30 min depending on how crisp you like your cabbage. Serve with mustard on the side and cinnamon/date stuffed baked apples for dessert.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...here is one more possible piece to my puzzle. It's been a difficult road but I am nearly 100% healed.


Garden Gate...Inheriting a couple fruit trees that were not pruned properly and dodging rotting fruit on sidewalks in summer from overgrown trees in Cedar City, I have become highly interested in the proper pruning process. There is no sense in planting trees that grow too large for an average or elderly housewife to care for and harvest with her feet planted safely on the ground. This video explains the proper pruning process very well. We are taking advantage of our amazing opportunity to practice this method before beginning our new orchard/garden.




Pen and Brush...very much enjoying my new brushes and hot press paper. I sent one of my paintings to an internet instructor. She sent back the nicest critique and some ideas for improvement. This was very nice.

Hablo Espanol... I met the nicest young man from Guatemala. At nearly 22 he is 4 days older than my youngest son. With a wife and 2-year-old son, they have been married since he was 18 and she 14. Friday we spent 2 hours discussing faith, repentance, temptation, judging, service, offerings, and choice vs force...en su mayoría en español. I kick myself for not studying Spanish more diligently. However, we used a dictionary and wrote things out on paper to gain understanding. Also, I helped correlate the Spanish and English hymnbooks today with a sister that speaks English fluently for a sweet sister that speaks about as much English and I do Spanish. I am so happy that I've worked at this skill, but again wish I had been more diligent in this pursuit. You never know when you will be called upon by God to use a skill He inspired you to acquire.