"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

promises

Praying For...Miss Gayle our dancing queen's health, happiness, and sweet spirit...also praying that other children around the world can know a measure of happiness similar to hers. Pleading that more little girls have innocent, happy, plentiful, love-filled, magical childhoods.

Meditations on Jesus' Word...“The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever,” Isaiah 32:17. I staking my life on this promise.

Grateful...doing a little rewiring.

Cucina Fresca...It is important to store food, because nobody knows the future. What stores well? Dried beans and grains, dehydrated, fermented, and canned veg, roots such as onions, carrots and sweet potatoes plus cabbage, apples, dried fruits, herbs and spices. Lately, I've been working on developing more happy heart, herbivore, food storage friendly dishes. My newest is:

Savory Mushroom Stew for 2 or 3

1 c. dried baby lima beans, soaked 12-24 hours and thoroughly rinsed
1 large onion, pureed or sliced
1 T. powdered dehydrated veg broth
2 T. dehydrated spinach
2 T. dehydrated cabbage
2 T. dehydrated shitake mushrooms or more if you miss meatiness
1/4 t. thyme
1 bay leaf
dash red pepper flakes or cayenne
salt and black pepper
1/2 c purple cabbage, finely shredded

Slow cook limas in 3-4 c. distilled water until tender (time varies). Meanwhile, put onion and salt in a covered stainless steel pot with a bit of water over lowest heat. Allow to soften and brown, which will take 30-60 min. Add beans and all other ingredients. Continue cooking over low heat for about 30 min. Serve with finely-shredded, steamed purple cabbage on top and carrot/apple/ginger juice on the side. This was rated 10 by my man. It's that good.

Duds...My it's been a cold, rainy week. I'll have to say that this sort of weather in the deep, dark forest isn't as fun as it is near the water. Sigh...But...I have the right duds to keep me warm, dry, and femininely modest. It took me 30 years away from AZ to discover the benefits of wearing boots. I can't extol their benefits enough. I love the fact that my newest addition is not only warm but cute with skirts and waterproof. I don't intend to spend another winter without warm, dry boots as long as I'm away from AZ.

Bibliophilia...bought Hillyer's Child's History of the World for Cole, Bob Books for Gracie, and Grammarland for Gayle. We loved these at our house and hope this generation does, too. Also, finally read Power Food for the Brain by Neal Barnard. While most of the information on nutrition and movement was a repeat for me, I learned some interesting things about metals and brain health. It's definitely a good read for anyone who doesn't want to go down the road to dementia.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...of course I'm neither a doctor nor a medicine woman. I'm merely a woman who studies nutrition and such deeply. Found this lecture quite interesting and informative.



Nature Walk...while near the ferry doc, I saw 2 harbor seals playing in the water. I plan to use this video as a drawing tutorial for my journal and a card for Gayle.



Serendipity and Joy...Wednesday we took the ferry over to get the tractor tire fixed and have lunch out. After we crossed, we discovered neither of us brought money and the next ferry back over was two hours away. The tire fix was gratis. But what about lunch. We stopped at a little local market with our $1.80 in change hoping to buy a couple apples. Instead we found a luscious, late season mandarin that we hope to graft onto our yucky, seedy tangerine tree in AZ.


Pen and Brush...drew this whale this week. So very glad I took up this form of expression. It's not that I'm especially good at it, but that it makes me glad. I so need a little Pollyanna in my life.