"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

peace within

I must admit, I've been confused about a point of doctrine for many years. If Jesus is the Prince of Peace and He brought peace to the world, where is peace on earth? Clinton Cook's sermon, Personal Peace, cleared up this confusion for me. All quotes come from his sermon unless otherwise noted.

"Even with the trials of life, because of the Savior’s Atonement and His grace, righteous living will be rewarded with personal peace...Events often occur that rob us of peace and heighten our sense of vulnerability...I have been impressed with the doctrinal difference between universal or world peace and personal peace."

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” Luke 2:14

"Agency is essential to the plan of happiness...allows for all the pain and suffering...in mortality...caused by... evil choices of others...in the 10th chapter of Matthew, the Savior instructed the Twelve and acknowledged that His mission would not achieve universal peace in this mortal life. Matthew 10:34 'Think not that I am come to send peace on earth.'...universal peace did not exist on the earth during Christ’s mortal ministry, and it does not now."

Joseph F. Smith taught, “There never can come to the world that spirit of peace and love … until mankind will receive God’s truth and God’s message … , and acknowledge his power and authority which is divine.”

"As individuals and families we achieve the kind of peace that is the promised reward of righteousness. This peace is a promised gift of the Savior’s mission and atoning sacrifice."

"But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come.” Doctrine and Covenants 59:23.

"The peace to which I am referring is not just a temporary tranquility. It is an abiding deep happiness and spiritual contentment."

President Heber J. Grant “His peace will ease our suffering, bind up our broken hearts, blot out our hates, engender in our breasts a love of fellow men that will suffuse our souls with calm and happiness.”

"Peace is not just safety or lack of war, violence, conflict, and contention. Peace comes from knowing that the Savior knows who we are and knows that we have faith in Him, love Him, and keep His commandments, even and especially amid life’s devastating trials and tragedies."

Even though I will continue to pray and work for peace in the world around me, I now understand that His promised peace is within my heart. As I radiate His peace, others may want it, too. Following Jesus Christ means building His kingdom. I can do this best by striving toward a Christ-like character and letting my light shine. Building His kingdom will change the world one heart at a time. I have so far to go, but the journey is wonderful.