"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

as best as I could

Praying For...Cole, who turns nine soon. He's our little professor and smart as a whip. When I write to him, I talk some about how much fun it is and what a blessing it is to be smart. Then I follow it up with the idea that smart won't get a person as far as hard work and charity. If he uses all these strategies, he can accomplish anything he chooses. In these last few years of childhood, we pray he is blessed with a gentle life. I pray these things for all children. Since there are so many stories of people offending and injuring children these days, I've almost quit reading the news again.

Pondering Jesus' Word..."And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea," Mark 9:42

Bibliophilia...I read Black Horses for the King by Anne McCaffrey, thoroughly enjoying it's unique take on Arthurian Mythology. Sent Ben Carson by Ben Carson and My Side of the Mountain George by Jean Craighead to Cole for his birthday along with a periodic table sweat shirt.

Cucina Fresca...enjoying more raw foods these days. Likely, I'll eat cooked foods again, but right now this seems right. Actually, I have been craving raw soups, salads, smoothies, and carrot juice a lot. So...no new recipes to report. Tonight I'll make raw zucchini linguini with raw marinara...delicious!

Grands...our Sammy called to ask for advice. It seems she loves playing teacher. Recently, I sent a copy of AlphaPhonics to her little brother. She has decided to be the one to teach him reading and other academics. As best as I could, I demonstrated over the phone how to teach a lesson. She is so earnest and sweet about this new task she's assigned herself.

Nature News...spent a couple days away on family business. While there I enjoyed pine forests and watching wild turkeys.

Movement...since it gets light much later in the day in the forest, my morning walks are now in the dark. Time to get a flashlight. Still enjoying yoga and Tapp Core.

Teaching Little Children...After I put out the word about tutoring, I heard from some families. Correlation was a problem though. I thought that was it until another family came out of the woodwork. The little boy is charming and full of energy. While it will be challenging to work with a very distracted child, I'm up for it. Watching a child move from confusion to success is rewarding. With energetic, distracted young people, the trick is to keep things moving and lessons short. Upon completing a ten minute reading lesson, we'll do a couple yoga poses. Next we'll do a drawing lesson, then Tapp Core hoedowns. Following this will be a math game, inset work while listening to a read aloud, and a couple more yoga poses. Finally, will conclude with toy car tracking exercises and a cursive writing lesson. However, never once to I move out of my serene Mona Lisa mode. So far not one child has hated my tutoring style.