"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, October 11, 2013

10/13 General Conference Book Club Week 1



This week I've been greatly blessed, as I studied the welcome message of Thomas S. Monson and the sermon of Robert D. Hales. I was deeply struck by Brother Hales' message which echoed my recent thoughts. When I emerse myself in the words of God from ancient and modern sources, I am a happier, more compassionate, more empathetic, better behaved person. Without my daily dose, I fall into old habits of astonishing behavior and self-destruction. My personal hymn of the month is I Need Thee Every Hour. No song could be more appropriate at this time.

"The holy scriptures contain no proclamation more relevant, no responsibility more binding, no instruction more direct than the injunction given by the resurrected Lord as He appeared in Galilee to the eleven disciples. Said He, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” Matthew 28:19 The Prophet Joseph Smith declared, “After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel." Thomas S. Monson

"In recent decades the Church has largely been spared the terrible misunderstandings and persecutions experienced by the early Saints. It will not always be so. The world is moving away from the Lord faster and farther than ever before. The adversary has been loosed upon the earth. We watch, hear, read, study, and share the words of prophets to be forewarned and protected. For example, “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” was given long before we experienced the challenges now facing the family. “The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles” was prepared in advance of when we will need it most." Robert D. Hales

President Harold B. Lee taught: “The only safety we have as members of this church is to … give heed to the words and commandments that the Lord shall give through His prophet. There will be some things that take patience and faith. You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may contradict your [personal] views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life. But if you listen to these things, as if from the mouth of the Lord Himself, with patience and faith, the promise is that ‘the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; … and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory’ (D&C 21:6).”

I need strength and protection, so I'll study the conference talks and live what I learn. Like Thomas S. Monson, "I gain even more from these inspired sermons, when I study them in greater detail."

"The greatest blessings of general conference come to us after the conference is over. Remember the pattern recorded frequently in scripture: we gather to hear the words of the Lord, and we return to our homes to live them.

After King Benjamin taught his people, “he dismissed the multitude, and they returned, every one, according to their families, to their own houses.” Mosiah 6:3...After teaching and ministering to the people at the temple in Bountiful, the Savior entreated the people, “Go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.” 3 Nephi 17:3

We accept the Savior’s invitation when we ponder and pray to understand what we have been taught and then go forward and do His will. Remember Spencer W. Kimball’s words: 'I have made up my mind that when I go home from this [general] conference … there are many, many areas in my life that I can perfect. I have made a mental list of them, and I expect to go to work as soon as we get through.'" Robert D. Hales

Study the talks and comment if you like.