"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

happy life

Praying for...Tyson that he will know Jesus and be cherished as a little child. Also, children around the world will somehow be sheltered, loved, clothed, educated, and fed. I pray the hearts of leaders of nations will be softened toward the gospel of Jesus Christ and toward truth, righteousness, and compassion. As grandchild of the week, Tyson should find Tree in the Trail and The Whole Armor of God in his mailbox.

Jesus' Word..."And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that wich was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us that it might be for our profit and learning...Hear ye the words of the prophet...that ye might have hope..." 1 Nephi 19:23-24. In this day and age, it is so important to start and end each day immersed in the Word of God. The world is a confusing place, but God's Word and Commandments are constant.

Bibliophilia...read Canadian Summer and enjoyed it. Children's books are so much more enjoyable than adult fiction.

Oddity...When we lived in Hawaii, every time I flew to the mainland or back I was hand searched. I always thought it was my dark hair, skin, eyes, and Cappadocian Med nose. A brunette woman in a family of blonds and red heads, my aunt submitted to DNA testing with results of Native American. At the grocer's yesterday, the cashier asked if all my family was in the country for the holiday. What? My family has been in the country for 8-10 generations as far as we can trace it. And the native Americans of course have been here longer. Am I now profiled at the market as I was in the airport? I was shocked by her question and so flustered that I didn't ask what nationality she thought I was. As a little girl, I was often mistaken for Mexican. I wonder if that's why she thought my family must be out of the country. Anyway, what is the big deal about race all the time? God simply created us with variety, all sinners and in need of His Atoning Grace--none better than the other.

Cucina Fresca...making roasted ratatouille after church. After trying several stewed ratatouille recipes that I couldn't rate as ten, I discovered ten plus roasted ratatouille. Salt sweat, rinse, and cube an eggplant. Cut up a few romas, a red bell pepper, several mushrooms, a red onion, 3-4 cloves garlic, and 3-4 small zucchini. Stir with dried Italian herbs or thyme plus salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pile these on a baking pan and roast at 425-450F for 30-60 min. Serve over brown rice or brown rice pasta or polenta. This week's meals were simple: oatmeal, miso soup, salads, green smoothies, tostadas, potato leek soup with kale, chana masala, penne ala cici, and roasted root veg.

Pen and Brush...enjoying research of windmill power for my book. I love writing in odd hours. Now that I can sit up without pain, I plan to catch up on some painting.

My Apothecary...used up nearly all my comfrey oil during my injury. That stuff works like magic. So...I'll be making some new. It is ever so much better made with apricot kernel oil than olive. It smells better and doesn't sit on top of the skin like olive. However, this time I'm not going to leave it in oil form. I like Tasha Tudor and Rosemary Gladstar's cream so much better. It's easier to apply and conditions the skin better. 3/4 c apricot oil, 1/4 c cocoa butter, 1/2 oz beeswax, 1 c rose hydrosol or distilled water, several drops each lavender and rose essential oil. Cold infuse comfrey (and lavender and calendula) in 1 c. apricot oil for 2 weeks to 3 months. Over a double boiler, melt wax and butter in oil. Put in a blender and blend ever so often until it cools and thickens. This takes a few hours. Turn blender on low, slowly add water drop by drop until it is the consistency of buttercream frosting. Add essential oils. Put cream in 2 or 4 ounce jars. Keep extras in the refrigerator until needed.

Movement...My dad claims he is basically lazy. I take after my dad. After my injury, I'm am committed to twice daily foam rolling and stretching as well as intermittent t-tapp breaks, morning walks, and evening yoga for life. No longer will I permit apathy to glue me to the couch. Inactivity causes atrophy which leads to injury. No longer will I push myself to work hours and hours beyond my endurance either. Pain again? Injury again? No thanks! Not if I can help it.

Garden Gate...indoor garden is nearly ready to harvest. Have used lots of parsley and basil, but the greens are growing at a snail's pace. I wonder why?

Teaching Little Children...today I teach about fasting. Of course little children don't fast until after baptism, but we teach gospel doctrines to prepare them for their baptism. After teaching the story of Ester, I'll teach the purpose and method of fasting. I'll teach that we don't eat for 2 meals and donate the cost of the meals or more to fast offerings. These offerings help the poor around the world.  I'll tell the story of Joseph B. Worthlin as a little boy pulling his red wagon to deliver food, blankets, and clothing to poor people in his congregation under the direction of his father, the bishop. Then I'll give the children a paper with a little red wagon and ask them to draw things that the poor receive because of our willingness to give fast offerings. After that we'll play a new game, Bee Attitudes patterned after the talk by Gordon B. Hinckley.