"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, November 22, 2013

a pleasure and a joy and a blessing

Small and Simple Things sermon by Arnulfo Valezuala

My family doesn't understand why I choose to serve this mission. Sometimes the work is hard, bone-wearingly, injury-inducingly (Yes, I make up words like Shakespeare) hard. I miss seeing my parents, children, and grandchildren. I miss spending time with my grandmother in the sunset of her long life. The hymn tells me, 'wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above. Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.'

Thomas S. Monson taught, “The world is in need of your help. There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save. The blessings of eternity await you.”

So how can mowing like a crazy woman and pruning the orchard and thinning the forest and watching over this farm help others? Before they know what they are doing, many young people decide the path they will take--some good, some not. When these young people come here as part of maintenance crews, they see the beauty and feel the peace here and experience the joy of meaningful work. Somehow, the Spirit of the Lord is here. It almost feels like a temple.

In the grand scheme of things, our mission is a small thing. But...if we can influence a young person or a leader or a community member along the path of truth and righteousness, we accomplish greatness. Oh, I'm fully aware that grace is the saving principle. However, I also know that I am an instrument in the hands of God, small and imperfect though I am. Serving is a pleasure and a joy and a blessing.