"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

new lessons to learn

Praying For...our Oakley this week that she can find joy in Jesus and safety in the world. We sent her Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes as well as Dover's Easy Origami. So why do I do this grandchild of the week thing? When my children were growing up, my step-mother, Jo, used to send parties in the mail on holidays. The children felt special. I loved that it made them happy. When my first grandchildren neared two-ish, I began doing it, too. Unfortunately, the other grandma copied the idea. It isn't special anymore, when it isn't unique. So, I thought and thought about a way to do something special for my grandchildren, who live so far away from me. I remembered a class at BYU Women's Conference, where the teacher did something interesting. She was a single woman, who made for her nieces and nephews, child of the week. Since my grandchildren's other grandparents don't do grandchild of the week, so it is special. Our daughters report that siblings sometimes have a difficult time when it isn't their week, but are beginning to understand patience and sharing. Anyway, I love my grandchildren and love doing this project.

Pen and Brush...I drew a very cute panda for Samantha last week but forgot to photograph it. Oh, well, at least I'm starting to paint again. I love to paint. Still writing a lot especially now that I'm reclining all day.

Mission Life...my tutoring program is doing very well. One little boy is making huge strides at school. Hurray. All the others are moving ahead nicely as well. No other things to report.

Teaching Little Children...I am sadly at home this week and hope my class will do ok without me. I love those little children. I've seen great progress in the ones with behavior issues. Love is the only way to a child's heart. Children respond better to someone who explains and reasons than they will with someone who hollers, scolds, or worse. Certainly, it takes more time and effort, but the results are amazing.

Cucina Fresca...Spaghetti Squash with Marinara, Veg Tikka Masala, Chana Masala, baked potatoes with chili, potato and kale soup, Mex pintos and rice, Miso/Veg soup, and fruity oatmeal crisp accompanied our green smoothies and carrot juice this week. Jesus' Word..."Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord," James 5:14. Herbs and doctoring and physical therapy are all good, but faith and priesthood blessings provide the catalyst that makes them work.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...recovery is speeded with herbs...I made a message oil with comfrey for general healing of injured tissues and use boswellia, arnica, peppermint, and ilix to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. As the days go by, relief is coming. It is sort of disheartening to sustain an injury just as I was beginning to feel normal again. Guess I didn't learn all I needed to learn from illness yet.

Movement...because I sustained a strange injury, my exercising has been extremely limited. On mostly bed rest, I am trying to keep fit with a foam roller. Sort of like an expensive and immodest message, the foam roller breaks downs knots that limit range of motion, increases blood flow to the soft tissue to help release muscle tightness, provides targeted, trigger point massage, helps speed post-injury recovery, and preps muscles for stretching. Afterward, I gingerly stretch affected muscles. Since it is best to do these with warm muscles, after shower time is best.